Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 1950 8n. just installed a new wiring harness. rus…

Customer Question
I have a 1950...

I have a 1950 8n. just installed a new wiring harness. rus fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Every thing good, except will not shut off with the key. don't have serial number

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Jumber wire from coil to frame shuts it down, if I leave jumper hooked to frame it wont start

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
7/28/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Are you using the old 6 volt battery and components, or has to been upgraded to 12 volt system? See diagrams below. You have to kill voltage to the coil, to kill engine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
old 6v system

The off/on switch should be breaking the voltage to the coil, is the off/on switch working?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the amp gage goes back to center

But is the voltage still to coil?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Already paid $58 not paying $26 for. Phone

We do't need call, we can work from here.

Yes, you still have voltage? Where is power coming from, if switch is working?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's my dilemma

It is a single wire, where does it come from? What else is wired to the coil side of switch?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Red wire goes from coil to terminal block other goes to distributer

Where is terminal block wired to?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The regulator and key

You are not killing power to the coil, it should be wired direct to the on/off keyswitch. I'm not sure you have it wired, but it does not kill voltage to the coil.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks

Thank you. Please rate to close the question and get me credit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did the best he could without seeing it

Did you see the wiring diagrams on the site link I sent?

I need a posiitve rating on the 5 star rating system on your side, to get credit for answer.

I see question is still open, please use the 5 star rating system to close the question and get me credit! Thanks!