Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a 2000 sterling a9513 w a cat c10. Cs03490. I am. I

Customer Question

I have a 2000 sterling a9513 w a cat c10
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: Cs03490
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am. I changed fuel filter and didn't notice the lil fill it up w diesel before I install the new one. So I put one on empty and tried to start it. Well now I primed the fuel filter and have been pumping the primer pump trying to bleed it out. I cannot get it to start. Ether cycles it a bit then it shuts down.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: Ok
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Help :)
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
So the hand primer never gets stiff when you operate it?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Been priming for about 20 min total.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
Normally if you fill up the filters and operate the hand primer. It should get stiff. I like to fill them up and then operate the hand primer while cranking.
If the hand primer never gets stiff. The system may be sucking air.May I ask why you changed the filter? Were you having a problem?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Jus got truck. Runs flawlessly. Was jus doing a full service to get a baseline moving forward for future services. There was no service records w the truck so I wanted to zero it all out moving forward.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
I see. Thanks for the information.
You may want to check for sucking air. The o my things I have seen cause a hand primer not to get stiff are:
Sucking air
Bad hand primer
Failed fuel pressure regulator.
The fuel pressure regulator looks like about a one inch plug. It's in or near the hand primer.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.