Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.
14928985

We have a 2013 prostar International truck by which it runs

Customer Question

we have a 2013 prostar International truck by which it runs good, however the check engine light comes on
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: ok sounds good, as everything is running great, just this check engine light keeps coming on
JA: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We haven't done anything yet, as everyone is really busy and can't look at it and we need to keep this truck on the road. Again , everything appears to look/work good as we just ran 200 mile trial run and it still had light on but no problems that we could see with truck or any leaks, no heating etc...
JA: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The oil pressure and temp is good, runs normal but the light comes on
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This light coming on can indicate a large number of faults that can occur on the engine or transmission unfortunately.This sounds to be a minor sensor or component issue since it does start and run properly and you may be o.k. to drive it until you can have it looked into.

What has to be done though is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set in all computers.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.

But if it is running and shifting o.k. you should be o.k. to drive it for now until you can have it looked into and diagnosed and repaired.I would just have this done as soon as you can.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We just finished a load [email protected] miles abd everything is working g goodWe noticed it shortly after we changed oil
We did this ourselfCould a sensor or something tripped as a result or ??
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I dont see this as an issue you had caused with an oil change unless a sensor or component was bumped loose or damaged.You might re check the area you were working in or the person that did the oil change was working in to see if anything was bumped loose or damaged in any way.

But if this is all o.k. and the issue is not affecting driving or shifting you should be o.k. to drive it until you can have it looked at but I do recommend having it looked into as soon as possible.At least to have the fault codes read out to see what codes are set to at least get an idea of how important it is to repair.It may be a minor sensor issue needing replaced that isnt affected the running or driving of the vehicle.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete