Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I ve got a 3406 e that missed under a load. Ended up

Customer Question

I ve got a 3406 e that missed under a load. Ended up gaulding a cylinder on #1 overhauled & checked injectors still had miss & gualded #4 cylinder removed injectors had 2 people test them repaired cylinder & reinstalled injectors now have miss sitting in shop got any ideas of what to do or check
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Does the engine smoke when it's missing?
Has the fuel pressure been checked?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yea it did smoke a little when it cut out An fuel pressure was checked running down road an was 90+ An now today just finished it up an started it up an got miss idling now Injectors were checked the first time an then checked twice the second time it went down
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
If you can identify which cylinder is missing. I would move the injector from that cylinder to another cylinder. If the miss follows. You'll know it's the injector. If the miss does not follow. You'll know there is a problem in the cylinder.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Done cylinder cut out test on it an can t really pin point exact cylinder They all change it but some maybe a little more None really stand out though
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
I see. Thanks for the information.
Have you checked for a return line restriction? I have seen this many times. I have found the fitting in the back of the head plugged and the fuel return line from the engine. When there is a restriction, it can cause a miss or low power.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I haven t removed return line or fitting but have move my pressure gauge from supply line to return line to make sure pressure was making it all the way threw head an back to filter housing
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
Is it still missing at idle?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its still missing Only thing I can think of at this point is wiring harness under valve cover but I ve went from missing under load only an gaulding two different cylinders at different times to just missing sitting still
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
If there is a miss you should be able to get a not ok on a cut out test. What does it say when a cutout test is run?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just have a pro link hand held that I use to do cut out. It don t tell me anything U just have to hear difference Or that's all I ve ever found that it does. Would a lab top system plugged up tell me more
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
I see. Yes a laptop will tell more.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Still no good. Took hand held An ran it on one cylinder at a time An still can t fig it out. Definitely not injector now or wouldn t have ran on one cylinder at a time. I ve gave up now An took it to a guy to check in morning
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
10-4. Thanks for the update. Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.