Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.
14928985

2005 dodge sprinter 3500 2.7L Car Stalls under med/heavy

Customer Question

2005 dodge sprinter 3500 2.7L Car Stalls under med/heavy load. car will idle fine all day long. previous parts replaced are as follows. All Fuel injectors, Lift pump, Fuel Tank, fuse box assembly, Fuel filter, valve cover gasket and both sensors on the fuel rail. the code set when stalling is p2047-001 and p2051-001 both are saying fuel rail psi malfunction max fuel rail pressure exceeded. the car ran fine i assume prior to the valve cover and tank being replaced the rest of the parts got replaced after it came back.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The codes set here and issues that go along with the codes are usually caused by a fuel component.If this only started to occur prior to the valve cover and tank being replaced I would lean on an issue with the tank itself or an issue with the fuel feed from the tank.Below is a list of causes for these codes.Each one has to be checked to locate the cause of the fault.This can be a time consuming diagnosis to locate the fault but I would start with checking the tank and tank install for any damaged or kinked fuel lines.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gas3j3uq83a41nr/f-07-26.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
fuel tank was dropped again to inspect for just that and everything was good, no kinks or bent lines.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Was the injection pump ever replaced or tested?With all that has been checked and done here if the injection pump is creating to much pressure it can cause the codes you have and issue here.Usually this has to be tested by a diesel repair facility that can test injection pumps to see if it needs replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
injection pump was not replaced, Would that cause the car to die the way it does? best example would be is if i pulled the M relay while it was running.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

If there is an over pressure issues due to the injection pump this can cause the fuel rail pressure sensor to pick up on the over fuel and in turn this can cause the computer to shut down the engine like you see here.

I would have it tested to see if it is producing to much pressure possibly and needing replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will talk with the shop owner and get back to you.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Sounds good

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?