Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Second opinion] My school bus has a Cat 3126 engine which

Customer Question

Second opinion] My school bus has a Cat 3126 engine which shut down after beeping sound with no indicators on the dashboard. I was able to start it back up. No over heating. Engine #8YL75030
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
So after the shutdown, the engine started back up and did not shut down again?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Shut down again after so many miles. Also felt as if it loss power prior to shutting down. No fautl codes once placed on the computer. Also one of the drivers drove the bus when it was really low on fuel.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
So no red or yellow engine light came on just before shutdown?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I havent heard back yet, no signs at all before shuting down
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
Since there were no lights and no codes. I must suspect low fuel pressure.If there is a low fuel pressure problem, the check engine light will not come on and the engine will have low power and can shut down. Your engine should maintain a fuel pressure between 65 and 85 psi. There is a plug beside of the secondary fuel filter that is used to check the pressure. If it is low, I would first try the fuel filters if you haven’t already. If it is still low, you may have a failed fuel pressure regulator, which is located on the back of the cylinder head. I have replaced a ton of these for low fuel pressure. It is kinda a known problem. You could also have a weak fuel transfer pump or restricted hand primer pump, if your engine has one.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.