Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
30303843

Right side brake light does not work turn signal does, 2005

Customer Question

right side brake light does not work turn signal does
JA: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?
Customer: 2005 cxn mack mack 355-380 engine
JA: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes ,I replaced turn signal switch ,right tail light ,abs brake controller
JA: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I ran a new wire to the right side tail light
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the left brake light works
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when the right brake light quit the cruise also stopped working I believe what ever shorted the brake light is also the reason the cruise don't work or maybe just the oppisit
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Give me some time to check on some diagrams on this

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok I'll wait to here I have asked other about this problem they tell me it's the signal switch but it works fine in another truck

Thanks for the update. And the one from the other truck still is the same I gather. If brake light signal is coming out of the switch it has to be an open circuit or ground issue/possible poor connection at the tail light itself or bulb. Test and follow power in the rear harness for the stop lamps. Let me know

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the blub was replaced for that reason even though the right signal worked there is a new wire going from the junction block to the right brake light the power at the junction is correct for two reasons 1 all lights work on the trailer correctly , 2 the power on the junction block matches the same as the other truck same make, model, year
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can make the brake light work with a jumper wire If the ground is bad seems odd it works with a jumper wire
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is it possible that the cruise is shorting the brake light or the other way around they must be connected some where but where?

Try the turn signal on the other side to make sure it doesnt interfere.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
left side works on tractor and trailer right brake light works on trailer but not tractor

Is there any power in the wiring harness coming out of the switch and back to the right brake? Sounds like an open circuit to me.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the power coming out of the cab to the junction block on the fire wall must be ok or the trailer lights wouldn't work and by putting a jumper wire to the right brake light on the truck it works , with the wire for the right brake light disconnected at the junction block there is power there
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is there anyway possible the cruise is the problem? (or the throttle)
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the right signal works the brake and signal use the same wire
Expert:  Andy replied 3 months ago.

Hi there . My name is Andy! Would a diagram help you here ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not sure it might if it would show the connection between the brakes and the cruise (or the throttle)
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

It should not be related to the cruise at all .

Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Do you still need help ?

Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Looking for an update on this . Do you still need assistance ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no thanks I am wiring the brake lights to match the trailer lights since the trailer plug works correct
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Oh ok . That works I guess .