Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

2012 ford f750

Customer Question
2012 ford f750
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
7/13/2017
Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 4 months ago
Jackie Dempsey

Hi there! Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you with your question today. To begin, may I please have your 8 digit engine serial number?

73413867
is someone working on my problem
Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 4 months ago

Thank you for providing your serial number, I apologize but I am unable to make a phone call at this time. I can however tell you with certainty that I have seen this issue occur in the field. I am curious if you have verified that the coolant temperature sensor is functioning properly? The codes you have provided are the OEM codes and not the Cummins specific codes. Please refer to the following information and let me know if you have any questions!

FAULT CODE 151

Engine Coolant Temperature - Data Valid But Above Normal Operating Range - Most Severe Level

Printable Version

Overview

CODEREASONEFFECT

Fault Code: 151
PID: P110
SPN: 110
FMI: 0/0
LAMP: Red
SRT:

Engine Coolant Temperature - Data Valid But Above Normal Operating Range - Most Severe Level. Engine coolant temperature signal indicates engine coolant temperature above engine protection critical limit.

Progressive power derate increasing in severity from time of alert. If Engine Protection Shutdown feature is enabled, engine will shut down 30 seconds after red STOP lamp starts flashing.

ISX12/ISX11.9 CM2250/ISB6.7 CM2250/ISC8.3 and ISL9 CM2250/ISX15 CM2250 - Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit

SMALL | MEDIUM | LARGE

Circuit Description

The coolant temperature sensor is a variable resistor sensor and is used to measure the temperature of the coolant of the engine. The engine control module (ECM) supplies 5 volts to the coolant temperature signal circuit. The ECM monitors the change in voltage caused by changes in the resistance of the sensor to determine the coolant temperature .

The engine coolant temperature value is used by the ECM for the engine protection system and engine emissions control. This fault code indicates that the engine coolant temperature has exceeded the engine protection limit.

Component Location

The engine coolant temperature sensor is located on the thermostat housing.

Conditions for Running the Diagnostics

This diagnostic runs continuously when the keyswitch is in the ON position.

Conditions for Setting the Fault Codes

The ECM detects that the coolant temperature is greater than 117° C [ 242°F] for more than 5 seconds.

Action Taken When the Fault Code is Active

• The ECM illuminates the red STOP ENGINE light immediately when the diagnostic runs and fails.
  • The torque output of the engine will be reduced.
  • Maximum engine operating speed will be decreased.
  • The engine will be shut off if the Engine Protection Shutdown feature is enabled.

Conditions for Clearing the Fault Code

• To validate the repair using a Diagnostic Road Test, utilize a route that incorporates both stop-and-go city driving and steady state highway driving. It may be necessary to load the unit for certain diagnostics in the ECM to run.
  • To validate the repair using a Chassis Dynamometer Test, utilize a routine that incorporates acceleration and motoring events, steady state highway operation, and load. This will simulate normal driving and allow the diagnostics in the ECM to run.
  • The fault code status displayed by INSITE™ electronic service tool will change to INACTIVE immediately after the coolant temperature decreases below the engine protection limit and the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • The ECM will turn off the red STOP ENGINE lamp after the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • The “Reset All Faults” command in INSITE™ electronic service tool can be used to clear active and inactive faults.

Shop Talk

This fault code indicates that coolant temperature has exceeded the engine protection limits for high coolant temperature .

Refer to Troubleshooting Fault Code t05-151.

Last Modified: 09-Sep-2013

FAULT CODE 151

Printable Version

Overview

CODEREASONEFFECT

Fault Code: 151
PID: P110
SPN: 110
FMI: 0/0
LAMP: Red
SRT:

SMALL | MEDIUM | LARGE

Circuit Description

Component Location

Conditions for Running the Diagnostics

Conditions for Setting the Fault Codes

Conditions for Clearing the Fault Code

Shop Talk

Troubleshooting Steps

STEPSSPECIFICATIONS

STEP 1.Monitor coolant temperature reading.

STEP 1A. Monitor coolant temperature reading.Does the temperature sensor reading with INSITE™ electronic service tool correlate to a known value or a mechanical gauge?

STEP 2.Check engine control module (ECM) calibration and clear fault codes.

STEP 2A. Check if an ECM calibration update is available.If a calibration update for this fault code is available, does the ECM contain that revision or higher?

STEP 2B. Disable the fault code.Fault code inactive?

Guided Step 1 - Monitor coolant temperature reading.

Guided Step 1A - Monitor coolant temperature reading.

Conditions

• Turn keyswitch ON.
  • Connect INSITE™ electronic service tool.

Action

• Use INSITE™ electronic service tool to monitor the coolant temperature value.
  • Compare the temperature reading with INSITE™ electronic service tool to a mechanical gauge or a known value.

Does the temperature sensor reading with INSITE™ electronic service tool correlate to a known value or a mechanical gauge?

YESNO

Refer to the Engine Coolant Temperature Above Normal troubleshooting symptom tree in Section TS.

Replace the coolant temperature sensor.

Refer to Procedure 019-019 in the Associated Procedures Table.

Appropriate fault code troubleshooting tree.

Go to 2A

Guided Step 2 - Check ECM calibration and clear fault codes.

Guided Step 2A - Check if an ECM calibration update is available.

Conditions

• Connect all components.

Action

• Use INSITE™ electronic service tool to find the present ECM code and revision number in the ECM. The ECM code and revision number are found in the Calibration Information section of System ID and Dataplate in Features and Parameters.

If a calibration update for this fault code is available, does the ECM contain that revision or higher?

YESNO

No Repair

If necessary, calibrate the ECM. Refer to Procedure 019-032 in Section 19.

Go to 2B

Go to 2B

Guided Step 2B - Disable the fault code.

Conditions

• Connect all components.

Action

• Operate the engine within the "Conditions for Clearing the Fault Code" found in the Overview section of this troubleshooting procedure.

Fault code inactive?

YESNO

No Repair

Return to the troubleshooting steps or contact a Cummins® Authorized Repair Location if all steps have been completed and checked again.

Repair complete.

Go to 1A

Jackie Dempsey
Jackie Dempsey
Jackie Dempsey