Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

How to put a 460/1650 tune into my N14 ECM engine

Customer Question
SN:11803495 CPL 2027 JA: What is...
how to put a 460/1650 tune into my N14 ECM engine SN:11803495 CPL 2027
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: 1996 Peterbilt 379 I sent the model serial
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Where to get the correct CPL and SN for a 460/1650 N14 to recalibrate my current ECM
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
7/13/2017
Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 4 months ago
Jackie Dempsey

Hello! Thank you for choosing Just Answer! My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your inquiry today.

The best and only true option to uprate the horsepower/torque of the engine is to:

• Bring the truck into a Cummins distributor, you can find your local distributor via their website: https://locator.cummins.com/GlobalLocator/homeScreen.action?request_locale=en_US
  • Once the truck is with the technician, they will then hook up to it via Cummins Insight. This will allow the tech to find the available horsepower uprate for your engine.

I must advise that when doing an ecm recal to uprate the hp/torque it is always best to ensure that the uprate is being performed within the engines factory parameters of what it can be raised to. I have seen engines programmed aftermarket with alternate CPLs and they have nothing but problems then on. It is always nice to have more power but my advice is to be sure that the drivetrain etc can handle the additional power. You may end up with more power and more problems! I am happy to help with any further questions you may have.

If you feel that I have provided accurate information to guide you to the right path, please provide a rating which reflects the service you have received. Thank you!

I was looking the calibration SC number, CPL and serial number for a 460HP/1650 ft lbs to install in my ECM. I am aware of the potential hazards.
Technician: Jackie Dempsey,
 replied 4 months ago

I apologize that I was unable to properly assist you. I will opt out and allow another expert to provide the information you are looking for. Have a nice evening!

Technician: ][\][iCk0411, Fleet Manager replied 4 months ago
][\][iCk0411
][\][iCk0411, Fleet Manager

Hello, I saw that no one has been able to help you for a substantial amount of time. I wanted to step in to see if I could make any recommendation to help in the meanwhile.

Typically this site if technical advising and this kind of information isn't transferred, or sold through this kind of site. Would be rare to find someone that can get this kind of specific information.

What I can do is recommend to you if you are looking for that kind of power upgrade and to do it safely is to use a Tuning/EGR delete service kit. I have personally installed on many Cummins applications and saw massive power and fuel efficiency gains.

The service would take your information and requests and write a specific calibration for your motor and then mail the calibration in a tuner module- Similar to the Bully Dog programs. You plug it into the J1939 port and follow the instructions and within an hour of labor and software install its a totally different engine.

I hope you don't mind the recommendation as when I read your question I immediately thought this could work for your request. Let me know your thoughts and I can either refer the Tuning Kit or Opt out to open to other experts.

Thanks,

I don't have an EGR its a 1996. I will not pursue this any further here. Thanks just the same.

Understood Sir! I wanted to add that your generation of unit would be eligible for the horse power your looking for and would totally be adaptable. Unfortunately you've already started the question so I would at least like to share the recommendation with you so you can at least consider as an option for what you are looking for.

Visit owntheroad.ca and you'll see all the information there. Great group and extremely knowledgeable.

I hope I have been of some help and would appreciate a rating of our services. Please let me know if you have any other questions I can try to help with.

Thank you for the opportunity to help you today!

][\][iCk0411
][\][iCk0411
][\][iCk0411, Fleet Manager