Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

2008 freightliner columbia with cat c-13 and eaton fuller

Customer Question

2008 freightliner columbia with cat c-13 and eaton fuller smartshift auto. my question is while under power on hwy. would a problem with smartshift system cause truck to suddenly loose power and shut down . following shutdown trans display now flashing -n-&-f- alternately.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: engine # lee08928, & if other number your requesting is vin; 1fuja6de48lz78949
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this time.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What fault codes are you getting? Do you know how to pull them from the transmission shift display?

Click this link for the procedure and let me know what codes you get and the model trans from the ID tag.

Code retrieval

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
am downloading retrieval procedure now and get codes back to you soon, also where is ID tag located,usually.

That is on the side of the transmission case. sometimes it is on the drivers door sill tag.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
to follow up on info request you had; trans model...eaton fuller RTOM-16910B-DM Ultrashift. fault codes...active start with 88..25..PD inactive start with 88..36..75

Thanks for the info. That tells me that the transmission TCM lost electrical power or ground while driving. This could be a corroded or damaged wire in the wire harness, loose connection or grounds or loss of ignition switch power. If ignition power the engine would likely have codes as well and cut out. Was it only the transmission that lost power? Take a close look at the wiring and connector pins for corrosion and damage. Check for engine and body controller faults through the dash panel and let me know what you have logged. Test your batteries and charging system for problems and cables and connections. Check the low voltage disconnect module for problems if you are loosing cab accessories at the same time this happens. Let me know

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
will be checking those grounds and connections shortly.. you mentioned ignition power, engine... faults + . when this occured the engine suddenly shut down completely with trans, did not see any dash lights indicating shut down, such as with re-gen system. how are engine and body cont. faults obtained. no cab acces. losses observed.

Click on this link and see the instrumentation section for the instructions on how to access the codes logged through the Odometer panel. Let me know what you get for codes.

Manual