Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

C15 ARD SYSTEM I HAVE CODE 3473-31 AND 3719-0 WE GOT FUEL…

C15 ARD SYSTEM I HAVE...
C15 ARD SYSTEM I HAVE CODE 3473-31 AND 3719-0 WE GOT FUEL PRESSURE FROM FUEL FILTER HOUSING BUT DONT HAVE SPRAY AT NOZZLE. ANY THOUGHTS?
7/12/2017
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 5 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
There are three things I have seen cause the 3473-31.
First is no spark. I would test this first. Could be a bad spark plug or bad plug wire.
Second is plugged fuel line filter fittings. I would change them next.
Third is a faulty Ard head. If you have spark and new filter fittings. I would change the Ard head.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
OK I HAVE SPARK THAT WAS THE FIRST THING I CHECKED AND DONT KNOW WHAT FILTER FITTINGS YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BECAUSE THERE ARE MANY OF THEM FROM FUEL FILTER HOUSING ALL THE WAY TO THE ARD HEAD.SHOULD I CLEAR THE CODES AND TRY TO PRESS THE DPF BUTTON SEE IF IT WILL IGNITE?
Thanks for the information.
Just follow the two fuel lines from the Ard head to the fuel manifold. The fittings the two lines connect to are the filter fittings. If changing them does not help. I would change the Ard head.
ON THE ARD HEAD THE FUEL LINE FITTINGS IN THE HEAD ASSEMBLY ARE FILTER FITTINGS?
No not the fittings in the Ard head. The fittings in the fuel manifold. Just follow the two fuel lines from the Ard head and they will lead you to the fuel manifold. The fittings in the manifold are filter fittings.
OK NOW I SEE IT DO THEY SELL IT SEPERATLY AS FITTINGS?
The part numbers are(###) ###-####and(###) ###-####
OK THANKS
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Could you explain to me how the fuel is turned on to the ARD head and what to look for in the scanner PID to see if fuel is being turned on.
Fuel is turned on by the fuel enable valve, the the pilot valve, then the main. The fuel enable is first and sends fuel to the pilot and main valves. The pilot comes on first to light the flame and preheat the DPF. Then the main comes on.
how do I test the fuel pressure going to the head is there another test port closer to the head or do I have to make one.
Unfortunately they do not make one. Sorry.
I have to tee in the line going to the ARD head.
You can. I've never done that. I just always look and read the pressure with Cat ET. Do you have Cat ET?
I have ET and when I engage the DPF button in cab I have no fuel pressure and nothing comes out to the head.
Do you have any active codes or events?
should I regen through the special test and see if the fuel pressure turns on?
I would try a regen that way.
just 3473-31 and 3719-0 no other codes
It should take off on it's own. I would try a regen with ET
ok status update we got the head to work by applying power to two selenoids and fuel sprayed out of head and ignited so we going to put everything back together and see if it will regen by itself. hopefully no more problems.
Thanks for the update. I hope it completes a regen.
ok update there is no way I can regen this truck it still has code 3473-31 and 3719-0 any it has spark but I cant see the fuel pressure rise when I engage the regen button.is the ARD fuel pressure supposed to be at a certain psi for with system off and regen button off?the computer is not seeing a function or a parameter?
Will it not regen manually with ET? Have you tried resetting the 3473-31?
I reset the the code and it comes right back
Thanks for the information.
If it resets and comes right back. It's trying to start but is failing to do so.
What should I do?
I would change the Ard head. It sound to me like it's the problem.
Do you have any info on the operation of the ARD and what to look for on the ET program.
Over time the are will become clogged and not disperse fuel correctly. When this happens. The are head needs to be replaced.
changed out the ARD head and same problem failed to ignite.is the ecm supposed to turn on fuel pressure?
It turns it on by powering the fuel enable valve and pilot and main valves.
OK I GOT IT THE ARD HEAD I BOUGHT WAS BAD AND THE FOUND ONE BROKEN PIN ON HEATER RELAY AFTER I FIXED ALL THAT ENTERED CAT PASS CODES AND REGEN SYSTEM WORKS LIKE A CHAMP.
Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got it fixed. Good job.