Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 97 Peterbilt 378. I had some welding done in the…

Customer Question
I have a 97 Peterbilt...
I have a 97 Peterbilt 378. I had some welding done in the frame yesterday and the truck ran fine today. While driving today, I noticed my engine brake would only work when I pressed the brake pedal, as it though the cruise control was on. With the cruise control on/off switch in the off position, the cruise was still working like it was stuck on. The dash light does go on and off with the switch. I unplugged the switch with no luck. Now is where things get weird. While seeing if the cruise turned off, I'd rev the engine up and see if the jakes were working. After doing it two or three times the truck shut off and will not restart. I have no check engine light, to me meaning no communication with the ecm. I checked for power and ground on the ecm 40 pin. Had a corroded wire for the battery event recorder, fixed that and it still wouldn't start. So I replaced the ecm, installed it and still nothing!!! Please help!!!
Cat 3406e 5ek70094 engine
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
7/8/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. Check for an inline fuse between the battery box and ECM and for any damage or corrosion in the wiring. Let me know the engine model and serial number so I can get you the proper pinouts.

cat 3406e 5ek90074 as stated in my question. There is no inline fuse on this truck. There is an ecm fuse, behind the dash that runs to the ecm wire 455, fuse is good and I have power to the ecm.
I have power on pins 4 with key off and 6 with the key on and a ground on 5 at the ecm.