Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a C13 kcb and I had problems with oil pressure light

Customer Question

I have a C13 kcb and I had problems with oil pressure light coming on while truck is under load. I changed sensor hoping that was the problem. I put manual gauge at filter base and I'm getting 70 psi, but gauge is only showing 50 psi. Is that pressure drop normal or should I bring it in and have them drop the pan and check main bearings? Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Normally when the oil light comes on I find the relief valve in the oil filter base stuck open. This is a common issue on the KCB. It's caused by carbon packing in the cylinders. This packing eventually gets into the oil and system. To correct you will need to replace the relief valve and housing. They both wear. It's also a good idea to check the rod and main bearings. Often when this happens they have wear.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 month ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.