Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a 2008 cat c13, engine coolant temp stays between 200

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: i have a 2008 cat c13, engine coolant temp stays between 200 and 215, but the engine oil temp goes up to 240 after only running for 20 minutes then goes to 250 when loaded, we changed the oil cooler, engine oil and new filters. still dont know problem
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: lee05346
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
The engine does not have an oil temp sensor. It's a calculated reading the ecm does off of the coolant temp and boost pressure.
You most likely have a faulty oil temp gauge. I see this a lot. I would try changing the gauge.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the only reason why i believe there may be another problem is when the oil temp goes up at the same time the motor will lose power and when climbing hills it really has a hard time
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 months ago.
I see. Like I was saying. It's a calculated temp reading. The reason it goes up is because of the increased load. If you have low power under load. It's not being caused by high oil temp. The engine will not derate because of oil temp.
Does your red or yellow check engine light come on when driving?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it does come on when climbing a hill, red and yellow, this is a 2008 kenworth tri axle dump, so when loaded at 77,000 lbs, it gets really warm climbing hills and lights come on, as mentioned before even when empty and from a cold start the oil temp will go up with in 20 minutes, so it does seem like a gauge or sensor issue, though the overall running condition of the truck has felt unpowered when climbing hills ever since the oil temp problem started, the fan clutch did go on the truck about a month ago, we then fixed that, but the know we have this less power feeling when climbing hills then the way the truck ran 6 months ago, and it does a slight skip hesitation feeling when climbing hills were it will slow down to 10 mph climbing a hill, we have changed the fuel filters twice in the last 10,000 miles also
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
Do you know what code is in the ecm? If not. I would like to try pulling the codes with the cruise control switches. Here is how.Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the red light coolant light and yellow light come on when i do this,the yellow light will blink once then stay solid for 5 seconds, then blink once again, this pattern contiunes.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 months ago.
I see. Thanks for the information.
If the red light is coming on while driving. The indicates one of theee codes.
High coolant temp
Low coolant level
Or low oil pressure.Any of these will cause the engine to derate. I would have someone connect a service tool to read the codes and verify what code you have.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but the water temp is not getting high, coolant level is good, and oil pressure is good? do you think it could be water pump or what do you think it could be
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 months ago.
If they are all good I would suspect a faulty sensor. Most often I find the coolant level sensor the problem.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but that doesnt help me with the oil temp problem or the lack of power?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 months ago.
Trust me. Your oil temp gauge is faulty. I see this all the time. The low power comes from the red light coming on. I think you have two different problems. I would start with changing the oil temp gauge.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok ill start with the gauge, and go from there. the motor does start to run poorly before the light comes on so i think there is something else going on here...
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 months ago.
10-4. Sounds good. Just keep me posted.
If it runs poorly before the light comes on. You may have low fuel pressure. There is no fuel pressure sensor so there would be no light.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.