Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I'm having troubles with a 1994 379 peterbilt, when I turn

Customer Question
the key on, the dash...
I'm having troubles with a 1994 379 peterbilt, when I turn the key on, the dash lights come on momentarily as normal. Then they all shut of except for a few, then a relay clicks and the rest shut off, but then a few seconds later the few come back on. The few that come back on are the water temp, oil, water level, stop engine, and check engine lights and they stay on continuously. If I hold the diagnostic button the lights get brighter and dimmer flashing codes 22 and 43, but it they never shut all the way off. Also when I switch the diff lock the light gets brighter and dimmer but doesn't shut off. The truck has a ddec II 12.7 60 series Detroit. Thank you!
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
5/15/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi Austin, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. Take a close look at the relays and swap with a known good one one at a time for test purposes. Also inspect the wiring harness and connector pins for corrosion or damage including all grounds for a possible bad ground. If okay check for blown fuses and breakers tripping if there are breakers. If this is the case look for shorts in the wiring as mentioned. Test your batteries for bad cells etc with a digital tester and the alternator/charging system and all cables/connections for problems. Where so many things are effected it points to a voltage, wiring harness, or ground issue. Let me know

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

Click this link for a diagram to help.

Troubleshooting

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

Code 22 is for TPS Throttle position sensor signal

22.3 TROUBLESHOOTING FLASH CODE 22

The following procedure will troubleshoot Flash Code 22.

22.3.1 Multiple Code Check Perform the following steps to check for multiple codes.1. Turn ignition ON.2. Plug in DDR.3. Read active codes.[a] If active code 91/4 and no other active codes are logged, refer to section 22.3.2. If code 91/4 and any or all of the following codes are logged, 91/3, 187/4, or 100/4,refer to section 91.2.[c] If codes other than the above are logged, refer to section 9.1.

22.3.2 Check for Device Perform the following steps to check for device.1. If there is a throttle (LSG) wired to use the 417 (LSG) circuit, refer to section 22.3.3.2. If there is no throttle (LSG) wired to use the 417 (LSG) circuit, contact Detroit Diesel Technical Service, for possible change to the calibration.[a] If required, reprogram the ECM after the mainframe is changed and refer to section 22.3.15.

22.3.3 Sensor Check Perform the following steps to check the sensor:1. Turn ignition OFF.2. Disconnect the TPS connector.3. Install a jumper wire between sockets B (signal #417) and C (5V supply #916);see Figure 22-2.4. Turn ignition ON.5. Read active codes.[a] If code 91/4 and any other codes are logged, refer to section 22.3.7.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

43 is coolant level sensor fault... This will shut the engine down.

43.1 DESCRIPTION OF FLASH CODE 43 Flash Code 43 indicates that the ECM has detected that the engine coolant level has dropped below the recommended safe operating range, see Figure 43-1.There is a significant difference between the coolant level sensors used in Detroit Diesel Electronic Controls (DDEC) II and DDEC III applications.Externally, the sensors physically look the same.The sensor used for the DDEC II system has a black colored connector.The sensor used for the DDEC III system has an off-white colored connector.A coolant level module must be used with all coolant level sensors for DDEC II applications. All DDEC III applications, except Volvo, do not require a coolant level module.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson