Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

My 2005 Volvo (VED12) engine will not turn over, have

Customer Question

My 2005 Volvo (VED12) engine will not turn over, have replaced all the batteries, Cleaned all connections, this has happened before but I always managed to get her going after playing with the ignition,
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: I am not sure, never looked at the key, what I do notice is that the familiar sounds when turning the key to the start position are not there anylonger, there are some significant pops coming from down below the truck when I turn on the ignition in normal mode...!
JA: What is the model of your '05 Volvo?
Customer: VNL-630, VED12 Engine and meritor freedom line transmission
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced all four batteries, cleaned all connctions to the starter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No!
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

I think the pop sounds that you are reffing to is the ABS modulators doing their purge tests. If you are not getting those "chubbing" sounds, then I would check the key switch first since you did mention the need to mess with the key. It has pins for power in, ignition on, accessory, and start. They are marked with the fist letter for the task. Turn the key on and see if you get the normal stuff like the gauges cycling, the check engine light coming on, etc. If you are not getting that, then the key switch is probably acting up.

If you are getting all that, then remove the center cover on the dash and check the fuse for ignition and the relay. One of them may be acting up on you causing the issue as well. Let me know the result and we can go from here as needed.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have taken the truck into the dealership this morning so hopefully they will be able to fix the truck, thank you anyways
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

You're welcome.

I was hoping to have beaten that decision to save some cash.

I signed in and saw the question so I grabbed it when I signed on before heading to the shop.

Have a good day!