Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have an 02 Alfa Motor home with a XC Freightliner chassie,

Customer Question

I have an 02 Alfa Motor home with a XC Freightliner chassie, a 6 speed allason. The odometer works, the Speedometer isn't and no check engine light, i beleve everthing else works.
Dwight
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  roybelding replied 3 months ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

the fact that the odometer works tells me the vss is working fine. also, if it was not then it would have coded for this failure. the ecm and tcm are seeing the signal from the vss and cannot see the dash not working. thats why there is no code.

the failure is the dash cluster. it will need to be removed and repaired. the failure is internal in the cluster.

please take a moment and rate my service. please hit 5 stars so the site will pay me for my efforts. it is the only way we get paid for our efforts.

Roy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have replaced the speedometer head, same problum, i realy expected a much more specafic answer. I already new what you answered with. you get no stars from me! The dash cluster consists of a wireing harnus and several indivigual gages.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

I see you requested a new expert.

A lot of those XC chassis had various modifications done with them. On your speedometer hear, which style is it? Is it the full ICU where it has the speedometer and tach as a ll in one with the board, the style where you can snap the speedometer into the board with the 2 pins on the back which has the individual plug, or the single style with the single plug? I've seen all of these styles in the 2002 XC chassis is why I asked. Each one has different ways the speedometer gets the signal. The manual shows 5 different set ups, but these 3 are what I see the most of.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This dash has a wire harnus and several independint gages, two air, fuel, water temp, oil presure, volt, speedometer head which i have replaced but made no diffrence, and the tack, There is a system message center also. The gages all bolt in, and have a plug from the harnus. It is old school on the gages.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

That is the one that snaps in with the individual plugs.

On the speedometer head, There are 2 styles with that now. Thee is the one with the little switches on the back and the one you just plug in with the wide harness plug and no switches. Which one do you have?

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

This is why I am asking. I think you have this style that I am attaching a picture of. If you do, the speedometer has to be calibrated in order to work.

I have the calibration steps to calibrate it. I just want to make sure I am getting the right one to you.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

If you have the style I listed above, I am attaching the calibration for it. It is a pain to get the numbers needed to set the calibration for the tires info, but the rest is simple.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

Now if you have this second style, which your year was the conversion year, this one is calibrated with the computer. You can't just plug this style in and go. It has to have the Freightliner program attached and the cluster programmed to read the signal in order for the speedometer to work, regardless of odometer operation. They use 2 different signals. The odometer comes from the engine ECU and the speedometer comes through the bulkhead module. from the transmission ECU.

I think you have the first one I listed since you have the old style gauges that you can remove and snap out then snap back in. You can't do that with the new style.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no switch, we swoped the VDC every thing ran correctly, but the speedometer
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

You have the updated style then. That one requires the laptop with the Freightliner Service Link to set it to the vehicle. It has a address board in the back of the speedometer head that requires the address to get assigned to the vehicle. Best way to describe it is like hooking up a printer to a P. You have to tell the PC where to send the documents to be printed which is based on the address of the printer. The speedometer heads are the same way. They have a sticker on the back to manually do it with the ServiceLink offline or you can plug the ServiceLink in, do the module search, and it will activate and test the head and assign it to the vehicle.

They don't come from the factory plug and play anymore. The parts people stopped doing that a couple years ago to drum up busniness for themselves. They used to ask for VIN number and would program the speedo head with the address of the current one so you can plug it is and go. Now they are sent out with a generic address in them to where you are forced to connect it with a laptop.

That is what it sounds like is going on with this one. I've ran into the same issues before on other coaches and/or trucks that I have worked on and replaced the speedo or tach.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I may have mislead you, both heads we put in there are from working chassies 02 and 04 with the same results. The old head worked in the other chassies. The heads do not appear to be programabl. Can i test the feed to the head?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

Oh, ok. I know what you have. You have the LBCU one. You have the odd design, the one that wasn't used widely. As soon as you mentioned individual heads. It has a 24 pin plug on it, right?

I am getting the full diagnostic chart for that one. It is datalink driven, but no programming is needed for it. I am going to pull the sheets from the Freightliner site and attach the full troubleshoot on that one. It is a little more specific.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

This has the full troubleshoot to go step by step on what to check for the speedometer operation.

This is the one you need.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no 24 pin it has 5 pins
she is a freightliner XC recreational vehicl,
the heads do not snap in, they bolt in
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

There are only 3 styles of dashes in the FCCC XC chassis. I supplied for all 3 styles. The last one is the one that has the 5 pin for the speedometer, but they all go to a 24 pin large plug. There are bolts with bars that go across the back of the gauges to hold them in place. That is the troubleshooting style that I sent to you last.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
your down load is a genaric, don't see anything about Freightliner. If you don't have Freightliner then we can call an end to this.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

The download is NOT generic. It is a Freightliner download. It states it specifically on the documents as well as the picture all have Freightliner marked on all the gauges. Try again...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am all in, no star