Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

My Cummins 400 ism starts and runs fine for 30 to50 seconds,

Customer Question

My Cummins 400 ism starts and runs fine for 30 to50 seconds, then starts crapping out and dies. I replaced the fuel transfer pump, fuel filter, fuel, etc, checked for suction air leaks etc.Now what?
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: truck is 1999 Volvo, 4vg7dbug2xn786880. Engine is Cum ISM400HP 34947871
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Oil is seeping through wiring to plug on cam position sensor
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Are there any fault codes? Does the check engine light come on? What do you have for fuel pressure and is it consistent? Did you install a clear hose or sight glass to watch for bubbles on the suction and return lines?

Also check with your scan tool that you are not losing engine RPM signal to the ECM. Replace the oil soaked sensor as it should not be bathed in oil through the connector. Let me know