Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have a 2004 cat c-13 acert when it's hot it runs like

Customer Question
I have a 2004 cat...
I have a 2004 cat c-13 acert when it's hot it runs like crap loses power and sounds like it's misfiring first delivery in the morning seems to be fine I did a manual injector cut out cylinders 1,2,3 made a slight difference and cylinders for five and six made a noticeable difference testing fuel pressure it was around 50 psi idle and under load went to about 65 to 70 full rpm once a gets up above 1700 rpm's it will start to clear up.... i'm kind of at a loss I feel like it's a fuel pressure issue but really high in the RPM it kind of clears up I'm thinking the higher rpm. allows the fuel pressure to increase enough?? Also the fuel primer is extremely hard to push thanks in Advanse!
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
5/9/2017
Technician: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Since cutting out cylinders 1,2 and 3 made only a slight difference compared to the others this can indicate an issue with a fault with the injectors themselves.I have seen injector issues in the past before cause a fault like this here needing replaced.I would have the injectors tested to see if for sure that this is the cause here.

As for the fuel primer being difficult to push this sounds like the primer itself at fault.I have seen this cause issues here needing replaced.I would start with having this checked into and replaced first then see if the running issues continue.If they do then the injectors need tested to see if any need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

OK what is your take on the fuel pressure? Does it seem low also can a IVA solenoid cause these issues

The pressure does seem low but this can be due to the injectors.If you have 3 injectors that are dumping to much fuel this issue will occur here.I dont show or have the exact pressure on your model here but injector failures can cause this fault.I dont see this as the IVA solenoid.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

OK well I have a new fuel pressure regulator and a primer i'm going to start with that the truck is not smoking at all which is why I don't think it's dumping too much fuel it seems to clear up once it hit 70 PSI which is very high in the RPMs is the only time it has that much psi

O.k.,let me know how this turns out here when your ready and if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Automotive Mechanic