Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a Cat C13 with code 3719-16 active, and when I try to…

I have a Cat C13...
I have a Cat C13 with code 3719-16 active, and when I try to Regen, it fails between 5 and 15 minutes into the process every time. So far, I have replaced the ARD spark plug, cleaned and flushed out the fuel filter fittings ad lines to the ARD, and removed the DPF and sent it out for cleaning. Bad sensors?
Also have codes 3711-31 and 3719-00 inactive
5/4/2017
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 5 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out. I would try replacing the filter fittings. I have seen before when they were cleaned it did not help. Yes it's possible the temp sensors are reading wrong. The tough part is the only way to tell is to replace them. I have also seen a bad out of the box Ard head. 1 out of every 5 Ard heads I install is bad out of the box. Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
The sensors don't have a known resistance range? I was hoping I could test them with a DMM to identify which, if any, need replacement. Bad ARD head would cause it to fail Regen, but wouldn't be the source of the soot load code, would it? My thought is that, since it is fresh back from cleaning but reading a high soot load, it has to be an out of range sensor. To be fair, though, if I knew, I wouldn't be asking you.
Unfortunately Cat does not give a resistance spec on the sensors. Sorry. After a DPF is cleaned. You need to reset the Ashe model with ET in the ecm. Was the Ashe model reset? Also. The 3719 will not clear until a successful regen has been completed.
Ash model not reset, we'll have to take it to a neighboring shop that has ET. Before I do that, though, would that be the cause of the code, or should I replace the temp sensor and filter fittings first?Trying to remember when I took the Cat Tier 4 training a few years back. They measure the soot load with differential pressure, and the ash model is measured with RF sensors at the front and rear of the filter, right?
The Ashe model is a calculation of Ashe build up. Ashe is a byproduct of engine oil. Once reset the ecm knows it's been cleaned. However. Not resetting the Ashe model will not cause a regen to fail. I would try fittings and sensors first.
Sounds good. I know where the fittings are, where are the temp sensors?Also, we had the DPF cleaned, but not baked (shop doing the work said it didn't need it). Would cleaning it remove the soot, or just the Ashe?
There are three. Two are made together. There is one in the Ard. One in the turbo out. One in the pipe after the Ard.
Cleaning will remove the Ashe.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks. Somehow, Cat always gets a few more bucks out of me, but this is on a firetruck, so it needs to get done. Off to PartsStore...
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help. Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
New fittings, new temp sensors, still drops out of Regen after 15 minutes. Code 3719-00 still active, but now 3711-31 is active as well
Thanks for the update. Yeah unfortunately it sounds like you have a bad out of the box Ard head. I see it often. I am sorry.
The ARD head isn't out of the box, it's been on the engine since it was built in 2009. What causes the head itself to go bad? It's nothing more than a mounting point for the fuel injectors, which I blew out with compressed air, and the spark plug, which is new. Seems like all I'm doing is throwing parts at this thing, not troubleshooting
I thought you said you have replaced the Ard head. If you did not. I would replace it next. I see them fail like this a lot. They either do not even light off. If they light off and fail shortly after starting.