Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2004 Kenworth T 800 with a Catapillar C 15 that was…

Hi I have a 2004...
Hi I have a 2004 Kenworth T 800 with a Catapillar C 15 that was recently just rebuilt about 1000 miles ago that fixed the major issues that we we're having. But we're still having an underlying issue that was going on before the truck stumbles at idle sometimes and will stumble upon acceleration The truck will catch itself and run great. Any ideas the driver says it does it more under three quarters of a tank of fuel.... I seem to think because the motor is hot by the time it's at three quarters of a tank and that's when it starts acting up air in the fuel? thanks in advance
4/29/2017
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 5 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out. Has the fuel pressure been checked when this happens? Does the engine smoke out the exhaust when this happens? Were the injectors and Iva housings changed with the rebuild?
Fuel pressure hasn't been checked motor has plenty of top end power so we figured it had plenty of pressure I was thinking air in the fuel. And no injectors are all original noting changed except new cups and o rings wasn't told about this issue before the rebuild so we kept injectorsno to the Iva housingthis motor is and MBN single turbo didn't just the averts have the Iva housing?
you are correct. MBN has no iva. If you have good power. I would not suspect fuel pressure is low. I must suspect a faulty injector. The tough part is it's hard to determine which injector is causing this.
Yea that's what I was thinking especially because it can be one or more... can air in the fuel cause this? Like possibly a pick up tube issue cause it gets worse as the fuel level drops?
it's possible it's sucking air. But normally when it's sucking air the engine has low power.
Okay well I'll check it just to see and maby an low rpm fuel issue?I don't have access to cat ET you have any recommendations as to how to track the misfire the over head was just ran on over haul could it be jakes acting up?
it's possible a jake is causing this. You can try backing off the jake adjustment. The only other way to try and verify a miss without ET is to unplug each injector one at s time.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert