Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

After driving about 8 miles front disk brakes start scrubing

Customer Question
and get hot JA: What's the...
after driving about 8 miles front disk brakes start scrubing and get hot
JA: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?
Customer: 93 Internation, Electric over hydrolic, Lucas Girling I think
JA: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope just wondering what is causing the brakes to start scubing after driving a while?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
4/17/2017
Technician: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

On most models this is usually due to the master cylinder failing.It will heat up as the vehicle is driven and brakes are operated off and on and causes the seals/cups to swell in the master cylinder and causes this fault here where it applies brake hydraulic fluid pressure to the brake calipers causing them to slowly grab like this.The master cylinder usually needs replaced as well as the brake fluid flushed to resolve this here.If it is only one brake itself and not all brakes or front or rear brakes this may be just the brake caliper itself at fault for the brake that is grabbing with it needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Technician: spankyjr1, Journeyman replied 7 months ago
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman

Replace the rubber brake lines on steer axle brakes from caliper to frame, they swell internally not allowing fluid to return to master cylinder when they get hot, to verify after brakes start grabbing loosen front bleeders to allow fluid to escape, then tighten and see if brakes are freed up, they will stick again once pedal is pushed down but it's enough to make sure the lines are at fault. Easier to tell with wheels off the ground once free wheel should rotate freely.

spankyjr1
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman