Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Mbn cat in a Kenworth just shut down I'm going down the road…

mbn cat in a Kenworth...
mbn cat in a Kenworth just shut down I'm going down the road and it just shut down the speedometer and the tach quit working the engine light does not come on all the rest of the lights come on with the key it will turn over it has fuel and the ABS light is on
2/9/2017
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 5 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

If the yellow check engine light does not come on when the key is turned to the on position and the engine will not start, there are only 2 things that can cause this.

The first and most common is the engine ECM is not getting the correct power and ground to function. The ECM should have power on pins 52, 53, and 70 of the rear most ECM connector. This is the truck side harness connector. 70 is the key switch wire. The grounds are on pins 65 and 67. You can remove the connector and check for power on these pins. If you do not have power on these pins, you most likely have a blown fuse in the electrical system. I would check all fuses first.

If you do have correct power and ground to the ECM, you most likely have a failed ECM. I have seen this many times over the years. To confirm the ECM is bad, you would need to install a known good ECM on the engine or you can take the ECM to the dealer to be tested. Unfortunately the ECM cannot be repaired. Replacement is the only option. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Would it be in the battery fuse the ignition fuse the accessory fuse the ignition bus relayCall would be nice 6184724478OK if I am only getting power to part of my ignition fuses getting 4.5 volts to the engine RTD ignition fuse but I don't know what that is
Phone call session started
Will not let me sen d
I see. Not sure if pics can be uploaded from phone.
Broken power line from the battery to the ECM fuses
Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got it fixed. Good job.