Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have a cat 914g wont go in gear, i have the shifter

Customer Question
i have a cat 914g...
i have a cat 914g wont go in gear
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: i have the shifter replaced part number(###) ###-####
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i am
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: serial number cat0914gp9wm02872
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/9/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. That part number comes up as a gasket kit?

(###) ###-#### GASKET KIT

Either way, Test all your fuses for power on both sides with the key on, Check your relays by swapping with a known good one and test for power in each gear position to the transmission solenoids and in and out of the shift controller. Check the transmission neutralizer switch and circuit for continuity of the switch and wiring harness for damage or corrosion. Let me know the results.

sorry
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago

System Operation Description:

The parking brake switch is an input to the direction lever. The parking brake relay is an input to the direction lever. When the parking brake is applied, the parking brake switch is open. The parking brake relay is not energized. Releasing the parking brake closes the parking brake switch. When the parking brake switch is closed, the parking brake relay is not energized. When the direction lever is placed in neutral, the parking brake relay is energized. The relay then remains energized. The position of the direction lever does not matter. The relay remains energized until the parking brake is applied. When the brake is applied,the parking brake switch opens. The parking brake relay is de-energized. The machine will not shift into gear unless the parking brake relay is energized.

Note: If shifting problems occur, the control module may not indicate a problem. Check the following items.

Test Step 1. CHECK THE CIRCUIT FOR PROPER OPERATION

1. Check the parking brake switch.

1. Check the parking brake solenoid.

1. Check the direction lever.

1. If the machine is equipped with a direction control, check the switch.

Expected Result:

When the parking brake is applied, the parking brake switch should be open. The parking brake lamp should be ON. The parking brake relay should be energized when the direction lever is in neutral. The relay should be energized if the parking brake is released with the direction lever in forward or reverse.

Results:

• NO -

Repair: Check for proper operation of the relay. Check for continuity from the parking brake switch to the relay. Check for continuity from the relay to the direction switch.

Stop.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson