Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

How to get to a PETERBUILT 389 heater blend door, won't

Customer Question

How to get to a PETERBUILT 389 heater blend door, won't switch off of defroster to floor heat just makes clicking sound
JA: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?
Customer: 2008 389 Pete Cummins motor
JA: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fixing my self , trying to get to heater blend door, need to know how to get to blend door don't need know how much dash to remove have all lower panels off . Can see it but can't reach it yet
JA: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 6 months ago.

Hi Greg, my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Access the blend door and see if either something got lodged into the blend door and heater box through the vents or if the door linkage, etc are still in tact and have not broken. If okay monitor the blend door movement to see if the actuator is actually responding properly when moving the controls confirming a faulty actuator. Let me know

Let me see what I have for some information to help with accessing your blend doors and heater box to help more

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
accessing the the door is more of my problem just don't want to remove more of dash than I need to

Understood. Let me see what I have for breakdowns for that heater box. Click this link for a picture of what the actuator looks like. This is for reference. It may or may not be the correct replacement part number for your truck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331809685968?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I know on some of the models it is tight but you can reach and replace the actuator from underneath the dash and pulling some of the dash panels to access the heater box. The actuator as seen will be mounted to the box.