Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

Chevy 2002 kodiak 5500 when high beam headlights are on all

Customer Question
chevy 2002 kodiak 5500 when...

chevy 2002 kodiak 5500 when high beam headlights are on all headlights go out. replaced all four headlights, headlight switch,circuit breaker is inn headlight switch. after 3-4 minutes circuit breaker resets and lights come back on.no problems on low beam. ************* no relays in fuse boxes.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 3 days by:
1/9/2017
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 10 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Were you able to resolve this or do you still need assistance? If assistance is needed, what all was done so far?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

have not done anything lately,! I think there is a relay in the circuit for high beam, and that is what is failing, no headlight relays in any of the two fuse boxes, it is a sealed headlight switch with internal circuit breaker. I will look for a relay under dash, and I hope that is the problem. wiring under tilt hood looks good. will try and do a draw test. if I unplug one side or the other they stay on, both plugged in they will go off, after 2 to 4 min. they come back on. there is a relay labeled PTO, will check that one out, maybe miss labeled

There is a draw issue going on causing that. The circuit is getting too hot and tripping the circuit breaker. When the breaker gets too much draw, it will trip and when it cools, it resets. That is typical for bad circuit breakers. That is how they work.

Relays tend to stay on, even when hot. There are a few times the relays will cycle, click, and buzz causing the lights to flash, but not stay on for a few minutes and then go out.

Check the grounds first and rule out any ground issue. If you have ab ad ground, it will cause the circuit breaker to get hot and trip.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician