][\][iCk0411
][\][iCk0411, Fleet Manager
Experience:  310T Red Seal- Truck and Coach Technician
12570002

What temperature is the fan clutch to engage at on a 2007

Customer Question

what temperature is the fan clutch to engage at on a 2007 international 4300 dt 466
JA: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?
Customer: international, 4300, 2007, dt 466
JA: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked radiater , it just heats up when pulling then cools fine when idiling , the fan clutch seems to be engaging to late.
JA: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: when clutch does engage it only cools to about 220 then disengages
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  ][\][iCk0411 replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I can help you today.

I was hoping you can clarify a few things first:

What is the temperature that the fan kicks on at? Typically the fan would engage between 215 and 225 and bring it down to 185-195.

Is the unit actually overheating in certain pull, or situations?

Any codes coming up?

Any information helps, thank you!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
FAN ENGAGES SOMETIMES AT 230 SOMETIMES 225 NOT EVERY TIME, NO CODES COME UP JUST PLAIN OVERHEATS

Have you noticed whether this unit can do a Regen, does the regen happen when it's overheating like this at all? I just want to be clear what generation of emissions this motor has.

When it overheats is the fan still working to try and cool the unit? it just can't keep up with the overheat? When it heats up is it only when your fully loaded, or all the time?

My first suggestion would be to engage the clutch fan, even if you need to do it manually. Then try and pull on the clutch to see if its totally solid with the fan hub when engaged, or is it slipping. If it seems like its slipping at all, or if there is no clutch padding left I would recommend replacing the fan clutch.

A lot of the time its not a matter of when it engages and more a question of whether the unit can keep up with the engine heat. If the fan is slipping then it will not be able to spin fast enough to cool.

Thanks,

Good Day, I wanted to follow up on your fan repair to see if you have had any success in the diagnosis? The question will remain open for several days but will eventually time out. I want to invite you back for any follow up questions you may have. Otherwise, a rating of my services is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Hello Sir, Were you able to take a look at the fan clutch at all on your truck? I wanted to check in because the question is still open, but will time out unless you respond. I am here for any follow up questions at all since you have already paid for the service. Otherwise, a rating is greatly appreciated because if you don't the site keeps the proceeds instead of the expert.

Thanks again and await your response, have a good day!