cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Experience:  All types of Cummins applications
28984014

I have an engine fault alarm SPN 111 FMI 18 OC 2, can you

Customer Question

I have an engine fault alarm SPN 111 FMI 18 OC 2, can you tell me what that means? It is in a 2013 Allegro RED Motorhome. Engine Model number is ***** ISB 6.7 340
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  roybelding replied 6 months ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

could I have the engine serial number???

Expert:  cumminsdr replied 6 months ago.

This fault is for low coolant level or a bad sensor. Please don't forget to Accept/Rate my service.

Details for Cummins fault code: 197

SPN-111 FMI-18

Coolant Level - Data Valid But Below Normal Operating Range - Moderately Severe Level

Reason

Coolant Level - Data Valid But Below Normal Operational Range - Moderately Severe Level. Low engine coolant level detected.

Effect

Possible reduced engine performance.

Component Location

The engine coolant level sensor is typically located in the radiator top tank or surge tank. Refer to the OEM service manual for the location.

Circuit Description

The coolant level sensor is a switch and is used to measure the level of the engine coolant in the radiator top tank. The coolant level sensor is immersed in the coolant and returns a different signal voltage when immersed in coolant versus being out of coolant. The engine control module (ECM) monitors the change in the signal voltage to determine the level of the engine coolant.

Hi, Just following up. Please don't forget to Accept/Rate my service.