Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Cat Man, I need to overhaul a cat c13 KCB78215. I have done…

Hey Cat Man, I need to...
Hey Cat Man,
I need to overhaul a cat c13 KCB78215. I have done a couple c15s with no trouble but this engine is a lot different. Why would the head be so full of carbon buildup when this engine doesn't pull exhaust into the intake? Also the liners press flush into the block and there is no spacer plate so how is the liner protrusion measured and what are the specs? I also need the torque specs for the head, the rocker assembly, and the Iva/jake housing. Thanks
12/22/2016
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 5 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
It's common to see these heads full of carbon. This comes from the intake valve actuators on the engine. I see this a lot. The c15 is not as bad at doing this as the c13.
Yes no spacer plate. Protrusion specs are the same.I can get you the torque specs. Be back shortly.

Sorry for the delay. Here is the info you need.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffpbxik1nvuwtux/Head%20install%20torque%20specs%20overhead.pdf?dl=0

Please reply back if you need more help.

Thanks for the detailed info. Can you also give me the liner protrusion specs and explain how it's done. Also what about the Iva's cause all the soot?

You are very welcome. I am happy to help.

The IVA's hold open the intake to lower cylinder temp and Nox emission. This process will produce soot in the head.

Be back in a few minutes with the protrusion.

Here is the info you need.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wytz1kcs4dto4o6/Liner%20Protrusion.PDF?dl=0

What is the best way to clean the engine block surface? How will I know if I need to have counter bores cut and shimmed?
I use a angle grinder with soft pad to clean.
To be honest. The C13 hardly ever needs counterbores cut. The liner rest on the block down low. Not like the C15 at the top. I have never had to have the block cut on a c13. It just don't wear like the c15.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
I rolled out the old main bearings and when I did #7 I had 3 pieces of black plastic that came out with the bearing. They all fit inside one of the oiler holes in the bearing. I have to assume this came from the oil supply to the crank. So, what is made of plastic between the oil filter and the crankshaft oil supply hole? The crank itself does not have an oil hole in it on #7 journal. Thank you for the info so far.
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
Can you attach pictures of the pieces?
Thanks for the information.
Unfortunately I do not recognize those pieces. But I agree they must have came from the oil filter assembly.
No. When ring breaks it does not get into the combustion chamber.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
if you were working in this how would you proceed? I assume take the filter assembly off and look it over, probably replace. How can I flush the lines so there isn't anymore plastic? I find it weird that any part of the filter housing would be made of plastic.

I would definitely take the oil filter assembly off and completely disassemble. I agree, I would not think there would be any plastic in the housing.

I would not worry about flushing it out. Since the oil comes to the bearing, I would not think there is any more debris in the galleys.

Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
I took oil filter housing off and disassembled it. All the parts are intact. I'm not sure how I should proceed. I hate to put everything back together before finding out where the plastic came from. What are your thoughts?
Thanks for the update.
That is very strange. I hoped you may see where it came from.
unfortunately I'm not sure where else it could have came from. Unless there was some previous oil filter housing failure.
No there hasn't been any issues with the filter before. I have owned this truck for the last 6 years. Is it true that the oil can bypass the filter at times during initial startup?
it can.
If the temperature is very cold and the oil is thick. The bypass will open and the engine will run on unfiltered oil.
Is there supposed to be any o-ring seals between the head and block on this c-13? All it looks like is the head gasket.

No O ring Seals. Just the Head gasket.

Ok. I believe the book calls for moly lube on head bolts. Is engine oil ok instead? Thanks for your help

You are very welcome.

Yes. Engine oil is Ok to use.

I found an o-ring seal on the bench under where the vva and rocker assembly were laying. I can't find where it goes. Part number on it is(###) ###-#### Can you look up where this goes?

There should be 3 of them. One for each IVA. Thats the oil supply to the IVA from the HEAD.

See below. Its number 3 in the image.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehphtu7sstr1bqc/o%20ring.jpg?dl=0