Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Mack Granite engine fault light on dash and has lack of

Hi Mack Granite engine...

Hi Mack Granite engine fault light on dash and has lack of power. How do I extract fault codes from system

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

Mack engine, I have Vin # jlff673bc0kj00415

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

The truck is customers and my Mack program on my laptop has stopped working. But I need to diagnose fault as truck is needed for work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Truck was going good until few hours ago, then started with problem of power loss.

12/21/2016
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 5 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, Network Engineer specializing in CAN faults, Aftertertreatment, and vehicle communications

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

The VIN is coming up as an incorrect VIN.

If the truck is newer than a 2001 model truck, you can only pull the codes up with a program called PTT (Premium Tech Tool). There is no real alternative to pulling the codes up. if it is newer than 2007, that is definitely the only way.

Sometimes the 2001 to 2007 Maccks will have a diagnostic button on the right of the driver at the knee that will do a flash code as well as some of them have programming to do a flash code with cycling the key 5 times. However, those were used mostly on the garbage truck chassis like the MUs. Not many were used on the Granite bodies. If this is a roll off, it might have the feature turned on so try cycling the key just in case. Otherwise the program will need to be used.

Alternative is a program called JPro. It will pull the codes as well. If you look around, you can sometimes find that program on the internet cheap or free in the right places. You will need the adapter though to pul the codes.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, thank you for the reply. I am an auto electrician with 20years experience, I have a Nexiq diagnostic tool and have checked the vehicle.
When I got to the vehicle fault light was not on and when I connected diagnostic tool no MIDs in system. The driver however claims that fault light was on and engine would not exceed 60 kph. Mack granite 2010 MP8 engine 465HP used for removal of dirt in excavation work.60 kph without load.

I'm presuming you are driving it now or have driven it to not duplicate the issue?

On the driver side of the engine will be two small tubes. Those are the EGR pressure tubes. Sometimes they get plugged up and will throw intermittent codes after the engine is hot and has ran for awhile, particularly idling. Remove the tubes at that sensor then blow them out with brake cleaner. I'm wondering if he has a issue with them for it is very common to have that tube plug up, then cut the truck back.

There could also be an issue with the dpf and he was cut back due to regen issues that resolved itself after it finished the regen. I've seen that a few times with those engines.

diver side is left or right side of engine?

Left side. i didn't think Australia drove on the right side like the UK does. I thought the trucks there were like the NA trucks.

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician