Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2012 freightliner Cascadia with dd15 Detroit and…

I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 freightliner Cascadia with dd15 Detroit and having faults EE 61 and 545 25 1 and 2 I have been having problems with it the last month and have spent over $6000 and still having the faults come on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

2012 Freightliner Cascadia CA125LSP 1FUJGLDR2CSBS8920

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Have 506,000 miles and started to have problems with the DPF system at 495458

12/12/2016
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 5 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, Network Engineer specializing in CAN faults, Aftertertreatment, and vehicle communications

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

The EEC 61 can be your fule filters plugged or the DEF tank is empty. Most likely it thinks the DEF tank is empty because you have the 545 25 codes which is the sensor for the level valve in the tank itself. This will also cause you to have the issue wit hteh dpf system when that level sensor is faulting.

Have that sensor tested and that level sensor changed out. It should clear the codes you have and resolve some of the dpf issues. While at it, if you never had the dpf filter pulled off and baked in the cleaning machine, I highly suggest that. This will save you from having to buy a filter in the next 50k to 100k miles. The dealer can reset the filter for you and you won't get the auto trigger at 550k.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Thanx the def fuel level sensor has not been mentioned before from the dealership shops and I have requested the dog filter to be bake and cleaned but always get the same answer that it's not the problem so im going to request it !!That's DPF filter

The code you gave is for the level sensor so I'm not sure why they never mentioned it. Must be inexperienced techs or something.

Did you want a call still?

No on the phone call , thank you for the tech advice. I'm also surprised that neither Freightliner Dealerships had mentioned the level sensor !! I have the truck at a Freightliner Dealership in Michigan and they will be on it tomorrow, I'm going to go there in the morning and talk to them they are the third Freightliner Shop iv had this Truck in the last month !!

Tell them you want a L2 tech to look at the truck. L2 are the higher experienced electrical technicians. While there, tell them to blow out the air screen for the DEF doser as well since they will be right next to it as they check the level sensor. It takes less than 5 minutes and that screen can cause all the doser issues. I'm sure that is what the first and second shops did then sent you on your way. The shops were most likely flat rate shops and the techs didn't want to mess with the level valve since it pays upside down, meaning it takes longer to change it than the payout for it on the book time. My local dealership doesn't do that and neither do we. We prefer quality work do we pay actual work time instead of book time.

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Phone call session started