Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

Low oil pressure when hot. 2012 IHC with maxxforce 13.

Customer Question
Low oil pressure when hot JA...
Low oil pressure when hot
JA: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?
Customer: 2012 IHC with maxxforce 13
JA: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes fixing. Unit had low oil pressure hot and oil comsumption issues. Chased after oil pressure problem, replaced oil pump did not cure problem, looked at main brgs and found slight scoring. Did a complete out of frame rebuild, put on new head as old one had cracks between valves. Problem seemed ok for first few days running then reoccurred. Oil consumption problem gone now. Just an oil pressure hot problem.
JA: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: He will have lots of questions
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
11/25/2016
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago
Alex Olsen

hi im alex, could i have the last 8 of your vin please?

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

what is your oil pressure hot and what weight oil are you running?

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

here is the low oil pressure diag, what all did you replace/ inspect when you rebuilt it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Our hot oil pressure is 52 psi @ 200° and at idle same temp is 10 psi and at 230° idle is 7 psi which is tripping warnings on. Using 15W40 Rotella oil
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

yeah that is pretty low did you replace the oil pressure regulator or have the oil cooler assembly off?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have replaced oil pressure sensor and verified pressures by manual gauge "T'ed" in and computer, new oil pump, new mains and rod brgs (plastic gauged all in spec.) crank was polished, head new. We have by passed oil cooler assy and replaced the oil pressure regulator. still an issue
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

if you see in the pdf step 5, is the cup plug leaking?

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

strange you fixed the oil consumption but not the low oil pressure, where was the oil going?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cup plug not leaking, had oil system air pressured up with oil pan off checking for air leaking from different points. Have done all the testing in the diag sheets.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

tested hot? or cold

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Consumption cured by new rings, and head replacement. Unable to test hot by the time the pan is pulled it's cold.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

ok usually we plug in block heater to get it hot and test, if the turbo is not passing oil and you are not consuming it there must be something leaking internally when hot

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

230 oil temp is really hot, full load oil temp max spec is 208

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

oil pressure is 10psi min at idle and 72psi at full load

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

how did you bypass the oil cooler? do you meen the spinner filter? was that checked and replaced?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The IHC manual says 230 oil temp is ok. Installed bypass hose on oil cooler ports to eliminate. we are at the 10 psi at idle and unit trips warning light in gauge in cluster but only logs at pcm code at 7 psi which we had.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

have you checked the spinner?

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

i assume you have

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

i have never heard of bypassing a oil cooler on a max 13? have you done this before? as far as i knew the plugs are never to be removed

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

im looking at the book and it says 208 max oil temp at full load? what book are you looking at?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have bypassed the spinner and the plugs for the cooler says by the manual that they are not serviceable but when at whits end we taped in there to eliminate it.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

wow ok, didnt know that was possible well there has to be a leak but if you are running 230 oil temp at idle that is way to hot should be in 175-190

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
oil temp is typically 20° hotter than coolant, IHC thermostat by the spec only opens at 216° (coolant) = 236 oil
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

well in the book it says max 208 at full load so 230 at idle is to hot sounds to me like you have a bad oil cooler

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

the thermostats open at 181 on this engine

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We may have mis informed you, we don't have 230° at idle, we are in the range you gave us at idle. yes thermostats start opening at 181° and fully opened at 216°.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

ok yeah you said 230 and 7 psi idle

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We don't really have an oil temp issues its a pressure issue hot. 10psi at idle 200°
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

ok and you get a low oil pressure code in the ECM

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah we could get it up to 230° then idle it and 7 psi. sorry
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

the coolant temp to 230 or the oil

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
oil temp
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
low code at 7 psi, warning at 10 psi.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

and how are you getting it that hot? just by driving it under load

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

i would get it hot, pull in shop and plug block heater in drop pan and pressure test, if you dont find a leak hot then i would replace the oil cooler, since that is not a navistar procedure to bypass the cooler i can not be sure it is bypassed, what was the oil temp with the cooler bypassed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have proven with a pressure test that there is no restriction in the oil cooler.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

so before this all started the oil temp was at 230 and you had good oil pressure?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. It started off as warnings and coding for low oil pressure when operating normally and at idle. This is where we started finding pressure and temp readings.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

ok well the oil is to hot, i would say you do have a oil temp problem what is the coolant temp at? when the oil is at 230

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When the coolant is at 200° we are at min oil psi spec of 10 psi. This is not good.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

no it is not like ii said get it as hot as you can and plug in block heater drop pan as fast as it can and pressure test must be a leak but why oil temp is that hot is concerning as well

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

im not trying to second guess you or anything just want to know all i can since im not actually working on it and only have what you tell me to go off

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Totally understand!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have had enough for today and will resume Monday Am. Thanks talk to you then.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

sounds good to me, have a good weekend

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good day! What or how much oil should be by passing in the spinner filter?
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

You are talking the spinner on the frame or the crank case spinner on the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Crank case spinner on the engine
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

Should be no oil coming out of the road draft tube

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry we are talking about the oil return side of that spinner
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

There is no spec for that so I'm not sure never had that as a concern shouldn't be a alot

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

another thing to maybe check is the drain valve in the filter housing, if that is not fully seating it will cause low oil pressure, was there alot of metal in the pan from the bearings?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There was not a lot of material in the pan. We have checked and verified that drain valve. We did find with some more air pressure testing that we can hear air escaping out the back structure starting at about 5 PSI.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson