Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

Have a 2002 Volvo VNL series truck. The truck dash board

Customer Question

Have a 2002 Volvo VNL series truck. The truck dash board went dead and the only thing working is the manual gauges for air and turn signal indicators. Hooked lap top up to it and I can read and watch all the values being sent to the dash.
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: Yes we have and have tested power and ground to the dash and we are good
JA: What is the model of your '02 Volvo?
Customer: V N L
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. A New used dash from a wrecking yard that garentted that it was a good one. They have sent me 2 dashes now and still no work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have had the dash completely torn apart and like I said we can read everything with the laptop hooked up to truck
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have a Instrument cluster #2 code
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

The new one may not be working because the dashed have to be programmed to the trucks. They have modules in them and the software has to match up or you will get a dead dash.

You are getting all the readings on the laptop indicating the vehicle module is getting the signals. That is good. You are just not getting it to the ICU module which is the dash. The link is either bad, the ground is bad, or the dash is not programmed. Try programming first since it is the simplest. Otherwise the harness will need to be pulled and checked over to see where the loss is and that can take some serious time.

Usually when the dash goes dead, it is the module in the dash itself and then a replacement is done, then programmed on the truck.

Oh, Alsmost forgot, if the gauges cycel when you turn the key on, you have power and ground to the dash. If you don;t, there is no power to the dash and that needs to be resolved first.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.