Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I need help with two codes that have just appeared on my

Customer Question
Hi I need help with...
Hi I need help with two codes that have just appeared on my truck!? I have a 2013 KW engine: CUMMINGS ISX.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The heavy truck mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: the codes are: 4340 FMI 5. ACTIVE
JA: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: THE NEXT ONE IS: Code 1569 FMI 31 Active
JA: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. I'm fixing myself. I have cleaned the SCR FILTER. and cleaned the Intake Manifold sensor
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a 2013 KW Tractor Trailer, with CUMMINGS ISX ENGINE.
I have two active codes: 1)Code 4340 FMI 5 . ***** *****ght.
and 2) Code: 1569 FMI 31. ***** *****ght.
I have already cleaned the SCR DEF exhaust filter. Also have cleaned the Intake Manifold sensor.
Please, I need to know what the codes are indicating are the problems, and also give me an answer on how to fix what needs to be fixed. Thank you
11/5/2016
Technician: go-west.., Technician replied 1 year ago
go-west..
go-west.., Technician
Good evening
Can I get your engine serial number please?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea. Hold one please
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have on me....is that extremely necessary? Be a use then I would have to go at trucks parking place to get it...I'm trying to get answers on what's wrong on my engine because of the two codes in ***** *****ght I current have. Codes 4340 FMI 5, 1569 FMI 31. Please help
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?

sorry for the delay

4340-5 is def line heater number 1 open circuit

1569-31 means you are in derate

#1 line heater is at the tank

let me know if i can help you further

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is the DEF heater a gauge? If not, Does it need to be replaced for the code to go away? Is anything else needs to be fixed or cleaned besides the heater?
And the other code? Been derate is because of DEF line heater?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is the DEF LINE HEATER INSIDE TANK? Or at the back of it?
The def line number 1 goes from the def pump to the tank, what's going on here is the line is wrapped in wire, that is used to thaw the def if it freezes, the lines typicaly are labelled 1 2 3 etc, with a paper tag, but number one goes from the pump to the tank and the wire to number 1 def line is corroded someplace, inspect and let me know how you do.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I send you serial number can you help me locate exactly where the def pump is? So I can find the line 1? Please, I'm a mechanic and even I am having trouble finding it
We will get it
Were you put the def ontop is were the lines are 1 and 2 if you trace these lines they will take you to the def pump, these lines have connectors at the end of them, the labels that identifies the line is usually by the connector, let me know how you do,
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is what I found behind the DEF TANK:
1- Temperature sensor wire
2- pressure line wire
3- flow line
4- suction line
That's all I could identify from the DEF tank to the Pump like you mentioned, I only have the "Temperature Sensor Wire" (described above). I've also checked all the wires above and connectors that are covered with wire/heating protection metal. Everything is ok, nothing corroded. I've also checked all the fuses at the box where the relays are also located. (See relays question below)
So, about the code that said its "line 1" ...what do I do now?
Also, I have a relay located in front of the Windshield washer reservoir that says C1 Line right on the side of that another Relay that says C3 after treatment power.
That's all the lines I found with tags.
Are those relays connected with the DEF?
What do I do next ? I need to find the problem for the codes I sent you Originally.
I'm going to need that engine number plzz
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Engine number 79549533
Please help w questions below:
DEF TANK:
1- Temperature sensor wire
2- pressure line wire
3- flow line
4- suction line
That's all the lines I found with tags.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also noticed a wire coming out of tank and going to pump, that is the heater wire. It could be that wire that you mentioned and how do I find out if Heater is working properly? How do I check

now that i have you esn i see you have a aftertreatment control module,looks like this

,https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6hu86pm4n6945w/images.jpg?dl=0

it has a big and a small connector

the wires for #1 line goes to the big connector the #1 line is the suction line that you discovered.

one wire goes to pin 1 at the acm module at the big connector,the other wire is switched power,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could you please email me a electrical diagram/schematic for the Line you're talking below? Your ESPN Des was Incomplete.
Here's what you wrote, without finishing sentence...
"go-west..go-west..
now that i have you esn i see you have a aftertreatment control module,looks like this,https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6hu86pm4n6945w/images.jpg?dl=0it has a big and a small connectorthe wires for #1 line goes to the big connector the #1 line is the suction line that you discovered.one wire goes to pin 1 at the acm module at the big connector,the other wire is switched power,
go-west..
go-west..
go-west.., Technician