Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a 1996 3406 E cat in my big truck, it skips at times.

Customer Question

I have a 1996 3406 E cat in my big truck , it skips at times . I'll change fuel filters an a few hours later it skipping again , seems like most times it skips is in lower gears as in on low side
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: It's 1996 peterbilt 379 short hood day cab
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Serial # 1xp-5cb8x-4-td406952
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 months ago.
Does the yellow check engine light come on when this skip happens?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
just for a second then gos right back off
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm good with texting
Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for the information.If the light is coming on, I would like to try and pull the flash codes from the ecm. This will let us identify what code is happening and what the problem is. If you have never done this. Here is how.Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.