spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
65057319

I've got a question, I have an eaton fuller transmission 13

Customer Question

HI guys, I've got a question, I have an eaton fuller transmission 13 speed, on a volvo vnl 2009, and there's a knock when I'm accelerating no matter what gear I'm in, empty or loaded, it just showed up today. Do you have any ideas where that sound might come from!? Thank you
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 8 months ago.

Sorry for delay

Does it bang every couple seconds while accelerating?

If not let me know what it is doing please

Any other issues?

let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Every 0,5 seconds, even when I'm slowing down with engine brake on. Just realized that when I was accelerating after full stop it knocked 6-10 times in less than a second
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Does it mean I gotta do a rebuild on it?

Thanks for info if you want phone call let me know

Usually banging is from a broken gear but is more noticeable in one gear than the others

banging all the time is usually from a broken gear in rear end

What I would do is drain a small amount of fluid out of each rear end and trans,, the one that is causing noise will have a bunch of metal,,most likely chunks, you may need to put a finger in and feel around.

Use a clean pan if you want to reuse fluid. Normally you won't need to drain much to find out which one it is so little that you don't need to refill.

As far as rebuild most times you just need to replace what went wrong

how many miles on this?

has anything happened such as wheel spin on ice then dry road or backing into a dock hard?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
833000 miles and one time happened bang hard in the dock

It's hard to say without hearing it but sounds more like a rear end since the rear end would take the shock first from a drive line suddenly stopping,, anything else farther up the drive line would not be as hard of a hit

either way best to check fluid before pulling anything apart!

Just need a 1/2 square drive socket and ratchet to remove plugs in diff and trans

Please use the star rating system at top of page so I get credit from the site for my time,
You may still ask follow up questions at no extra charge after rating.
Thank you

For A good price and quality re builder Weller truck parts is a good choice once you find the one with the metal you can get some prices

Also if you do the work yourself we can work through it to get repair done.

Just checking in to make sure you got this taken care of?
Please use the star rating system at top of page so I get credit from the site for my time.

Thank you

Hi Octavian,
I took the time to answer your questions please take the time to rate my assistance so I get paid for my time!

Thank You!