Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I am having a timing problem with a c15, 6nx50341 6nz It's

Customer Question
I am having a timing...
I am having a timing problem with a c15
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: 6nx50341 6nz It's in a peterbilt
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I unframed it and can't get the timing right it smokes white really bad and backfires wondering if I put cam gear on 180 off
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I moved the gear a tooth and it helped a little but didn't fix it. Needing to go 1.4 degrees retarded
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
11/1/2016
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 1 year ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
If it were 180 degrees off. The engine would not run. I'm sure it's not 180 off.
Did you put a bolt in the flywheel and then line up the cam gear timing mark to 12 o'clock on the cover mark?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did
Thanks for the information.
Then it sounds like the timing is correct.
You most likely have another problem.
Was the engine running good before rebuild? Have you verified you were given the correct parts?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it blew the rings out of a few holes. Had lots of blow by. But found the rings to be a problem.
Thanks for the information.
Are there any codes? Has the fuel pressure been checked?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How critical is the timingcan you be off a tooth and it run fine? Fuel pressure is at 100psi
A tooth off will not cause the engine to do that. Not critical.
Is the pressure 100 at idle ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that at a idle? What the max pressure I can run? 150? I'd like it at 130 at 900 rpm. Or will it not run there?
Thanks for the information.
You should have around 75 at idle and up to 95 at high idle. No more is needed.
If you have 100 at idle. You may have a return line restriction. This can cause your problem. Return line restriction causes the fuel to get hot and aeriate the fuel. This will cause your problem. I would make sure there is no return line restriction.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. I reversed the flow also. Ran 1/2 in to rear of head then where the steel line end ran 3/8 to filter base
I see. That may be causing your problem. I would run it back the way it was.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can try that. But I know a guy who does it all the time.
I see. May I ask why? That's a new one on me.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Get more fuel to injectors to many times there's not enough to return some. Were going for a little higher horsepower than stock
I see.
You may also want to verify they gave you the correct parts. I've seen the wrong camshaft cause a problem just like yours.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a stock cam. Same one I had.
I see.Next I would check for air in the fuel. Possibly getting past an injector. Or a JAKE brake sticking.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK I did put new I injectors in I lubed the orings and pushed them all the way down by hand then bolted them down.
Yeah it's rare. But you may have gotten a defective head and the injector is not seating good.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can cat et tell you the story?
having ET connected to the engine will help diagnose
Cat Man
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert