Alex Olsen
Alex Olsen,
Experience:  Lead technican at Astleford international trucks
96118949

2006 International 7500 6x6 I have a problem with this

2006 International 7500 6x6
I have a problem with this truck. The dash and things will not turn off. When the key turns off it kills the engine but it does not turn off the dash and such. There is a factory battery disconnect in the floor next to the drivers seat that the previous owner utilized to keep the batteries from draining. I cant leave the truck like this as it is relied on and cant be left up to operators to remember to kill the disconnect. So I need to know where to start looking for this issue or where a likely place would be to start.

hi alex here, i would check the ignition relays in the fuse box, sounds like one is sticking

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK i will do that. Thanks. I will be in touch

sounds good thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
oh do you have a guide for the fuse box? Im assuming you mean the one behind the passenger dash correct?

yes that one but also under the hood, i have no guide the sticker on the cover is all , navistar has yet to make a fuse box diagram

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
roger that

ok sounds good

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no dice on the ign relays. I will say though, when i pulled both ign relays it didn't stop the dash lights coming on and the gauges swinging when i turned on the battery disconnect.

Ok that was going to be my next question was if it shut off when you pulled the relays so if you turn key off and and it's on and you pull relays does it shut off

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the only time the dash lights go off is when we pull the acc fuse. yes this stuff stays on all the time.

The accessory fuse should be ignition power should have pink wire running to it, anything with a pink wire is ignition, did you pull the accessory relays?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
nevermind, none of the relays killed the dash except the instrument cluster fuse. also, where is the horn fuse?

the horn has a "virtual" fuse in the body controller

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
if it isnt working it will be difficult to fix

you can check for power at the connector when you hit the horn pad, if there is no power the body controller has more than likely shut power off to it

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
where is the city horn located on the chassis?

should be on the front frame crossmember like right under the engine mount

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
anymore thoughts on this issue?

sounds to me like something is back feeding power, remove the kick pannel on the driver side in the cab to acess the body controller, turn key on and then key off, with everything stuck on remove body controller connectors see if the power goes off