Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

My question is going to be on a International 4300 with a

Customer Question
DT466E JA: What is the complete...
My question is going to be on a International 4300 with a DT466E
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: It is a truck, not a piece of equipment. It is a International 4300 with a DT466E engine VIN is 1HTMMAAN43H573837
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, need some guidance on where to go with it. It will take a few to explain the situation.
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The truck started out have issues, would not shut down by the key, having to put it in gear and stall the engine to shut off. Then a few days later, at around 75 MPH the check engine light would come on and you would loose throttle and slow down to about 65 MPH, throttle would come back and you could accelerate again. This has been going on about a week. Yesterday the check engine light come on and lost all throttle, could not accelerate at all. Check engine stayed on, even switching the truck off and disconnecting the batteries did not clear the codes. The codes in the truck are as follows,
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/26/2016
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago
Alex Olsen

hi im alex, codes got cut off what codes do you have?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
SID 91 FMI 7, SID 91 FMI 2, SID 230 FMI 11, SID 164 FMI 10, SID 254 FMI 8, SID 91 FMI 4, SID 244 FMI 2, SID 164 FMI 0, SID 110 FMI 14, SID 164 FMI 10, SID 25R FMI 8. Truck started fine this morning, no check engine light on, had full throttle, drove 10 miles and it started acting up again
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

ok thank you, ***** ***** go over this an i wll get right back to you lots of info here thats great thanks.

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

91-7 is APS and IVS disagree

91-2 is APP1 and APP2 conflict

94-4 is APP1 signal out of range

230-11 is a body code

164-0 is ICP above KOEO spec

164-10 is ICP abnormal rate of change

254-8 is a body code

110-14 is a coolant fault

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

if you clear the codes and drive it what code is active then it acts up?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All the codes come back, it almost acts like a wiring issue, but I can not find any broken wires or wires rubbed up against anything. If you leave the truck sitting for 5 hours or more, everything clears up, check engine light goes off everything is fine. Sometimes you can drive 10 miles and it will act up and then you may drive for hours before it acts up. This is the first time that it has lost complete throttle.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

oh ok so all those codes come back, well with 3 throttle codes it is likely there is a problem with the throttle assembly or wiring the other code that could be causing this problem is the ICP code, it will run in default and be idle only.

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

does it stumble or miss? or just goes to idle only

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was being to thing it was the pedal, but wanted to be sure. Do you believe it would be the ICP sensor or possible another issue? Also for got to mention that when it goes to acting up, it will go to skipping and smoking. Also do you think the truck not wanting to shut off by the key could be related to the ICP issue or the throttle pedal?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Stumbles and acts like it is running on 3 cylinders
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

well usually with a pedal problem it will usually run up to to certain speed and then check engine light will come on and it will only idle you wont really have any stumbling or smoking, so i would say more of an ICP issue either the sensor or the IPR valve, with the not shutting off with the key though only way that would happen is if the ECM is somehow getting ignition power with the key off

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you tell me where the IPR valve is located? Also do you think the not shutting off issue is in the key switch or possibly in the wiring? Also if you could provide me with the wiring diagram for the key switch?
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

The IPR valve is in the HP pump has a 2 wire connector on it

Does everything stay on when it won't shut off or just the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just the engine stays on, everything in the cab will power off
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok sounds more like the ecm relay is sticking

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a way to test the relay
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

is it acting up right now? you can test out the relay with a DMM but if it is acting up i would just switch the ECM realy with another relay and see what happens

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will have to check in the morning and get back to you. Thanks
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

Sounds good

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

Please rate my service when you get a chance, i will continue to help after you rate me, i have helped customers up to 25days after first contact so rate with confidence, thank you

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

Alex Olsen
Alex Olsen
Alex Olsen