Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

Cummins ISL9 regening too often. I have been working on this

Customer Question
Cummins ISL9 regening too often. I...
Cummins ISL9 regening too often.
I have been working on this bus on and off for several months. It is trying to actively regen around every 2 hours.
ISL9
CM2250
engine serial# *****
ECM code CB90010.41
Here are the specs I've gotten while a driving regen is going.
DOC Intake Temp - 946.1 f
DPF Intake Temp - 1081.6 f
DPF Outlet Temp - 1149.2 f
EGR Differential Pressure - 0.2 InHg
EGR Valve Commanded - 2%
Intake Manifold Pressure - 16.3 InHg
Turbo Actuator Commanded (Percent Closed) - 4%
Turbo Actuator Position (Percent Closed) - 4%
Turbo Intake Air Temp - 96.2 f
Turbo Intake Outlet Air Temp - 260.7 f
Are the DOC and DPF Temps hot enough to do a complete burn out of the soot in the DPF?
Both the DOC and DPF have been sent off to be cleaned.
If they are, what tells the ECM the DPF need to be burnt out?
The DPF diffrential pressure sensor has been replaced.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
10/25/2016
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago
Alex Olsen

hi im alex, the pressure differential sensor is what tells the ecm the DPF needs to be cleaned, have you cleaned out the pressure diff tubes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they are clean and flow good.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

ok great, how many miles/ hours are on this?

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

if you pull the down pipe off at the DOC and snap the throttle do you get black smoke? it should puff then go away

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Miles 203,968
Engine Hours 13428:47:07 HH:MM:SSAre you refering to before the DOC or after the DOC/DPF?
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

before the DOC

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, hard pipe to get to. Yes I'm getting puffs of black smoke.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

ok so it puffs and goes away correct? is there a low power complaint?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Puffs and goes away. Plenty of power until code 2639 puts it into derate mode.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

do you have cummins insite?

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

have you preformed the DPF install reset?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's been reset.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

ok, so you will run a regen and it will clear the 2639, then in 2 hr or so it will come back, what does the DPF diff pressure start at and build up to in that time?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was around 2.?? - 3.?? when the regen started. I think it was around 0.5 when the regen stopped.I am currently cleaning the EGR system thinking it was breaking peices of carbon off and sending it thru to the DPF.The regen temp was from 980 f at the DOC to 1037 f coming out of the DPF. I was thinking it needed to be above 1200 f.
Can you confirm what the temp is suppose to be during a regen?
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

my next question i was goign to ask is how is the EGR because i have seen plugged EGR coolers cause frequent regen many times. your dpf outlet temp is a little cool but not much, usually run around 1100, is the DOC inlet temp at 980 seems pretty high usually see it around 750-850

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

if the EGR system is carboned up it could cause a higher than normal temp

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

according to cummins the DOC inlet will run 500-750 and DPF in and out should be(###) ###-####/p>

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

any update on this?

I am in independent contractor, i receive no compensation until you rate my service, any follow up questions after you rate will be free of change, thanks

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

Please rate my service when you get a chance, i will continue to help after you rate me, i have helped customers up to 25days after first contact so rate with confidence, thank you

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

any update on this?

Alex Olsen
Alex Olsen
Alex Olsen