Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

Try to find cts output from pcm, I have 12.7 02 freightliner

Customer Question

Try to find cts output from pcm, I have 12.7 02 freightliner columbia
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  roybelding replied 9 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

are you looking for voltage readings or temp readings??? do you have the laptop program for the old freightliner???

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I do not have a laptop available at the moment. I am trying to adapt my ddec 2 into my 02 freightliner without the ecm upgrade, but can't figure out the cts pinout going into the cab.

are you looking for voltage readings or temp readings???

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Temp reading, thank you .

ok, if you want the temp, you will have to update the software to view it. any freightliner dealer can do this for you.

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there is no way to get the gauge to work without an upgrade.

was there one from the factory??

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
in my 02 freightliner but no pinout on the ddec 2 for the signal wire for the temperature

ok, so the gauge does not work.

did you check the wires from the sensor???

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can't find the pinout for sensor

I am trying to find out what you are looking for here. do you need the voltages???

last 6 of the vin???

wire colors. they would be the same at the ecm.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that's a ddec 3,4, and 5 harness but not a ddec 2. That's why I was trying to bypass ecm pinout and tie into truck harness.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
J49201 is the vin

sorry, freightliner looks like they eliminated the diagrams for ddec 2

I will opt out and see if one of our other truck techs can help

Expert:  Jeremy replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

May I ask why you are trying to put a DDEC II ECM onto a DDEC IV vehicle? Did you change the engine or something?

CLICK HERE or CLICK HERE or CLICK HERE for this is all the resources I have on the DDEC II wiring. Couple of these are for the Peterbilt, but they are the only ones that list a diagram for the DDECII still. No one else does. Even the manual section I posted is from an old cab over manual I have.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, and yes I had a ddec2 engine I put into a ddec 4 vehicle. I'm some what knowledgeable in mechanical and electrical.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have those wiring diagrams also,but i don't see how to configure the temperature sensor back into the cuicuit
Expert:  Jeremy replied 9 months ago.

I'm seriously confuse. You had a DDEC II engine in a Columbia? Columbia's didn't have DDEC II engines in them. They had DDEC IV engines.

DDEC II engines didn't use a temp gauge through the ECM the temp gauge was a analog gauge on the engine that wired direct to the gauge. That is why you don't see it on the DDEC II diagram. On the DEC IV diagram, you have a temp gauge that you sent the output from the gauge to it and it then told the temp gauge what the temps is doing through the CAN BUS.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The ddec 2 was installed in the 02 frame. What I am wanting to know is what wire carry the signal to the gauge on a 02 freightliner columbia with a ddec 4 fire wall harness.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 9 months ago.

I understand now.

On the harness it will be a yellow wire that has a wire number of 133 printed on it. This is if you are on the 30 pin connector on the harness for the ECM.

On the truck side, it will be a orange wire with the number 115 printed on it. That is the harness that goes to the firewall.

CLICK HERE for the original OEM DDEC IV harness info.

CLICK HERE for the truck side of the harness.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
understand that point, but I need coolant temperature not level.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 8 months ago.

The info I provided was for temp, not level.

The temp on the DDEC II engine was analog and didn't run through the ECM. It was straight to the dash. On the DDEC IV, It runs throug hthe CAN BUS. You will need to run it direct.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The orange wire 115 on the truck side cavity h3 is coolant level by the chart of pinouts