Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

2009 international pro star cummins isx with automatic

transmission.Does not want to cranck.At...
2009 international pro star cummins isx with automatic transmission.Does not want to cranck.At dashboard is F and check transmission Checked batteries,good,disconected battery wires for some time in order to reset,nothing.Please, help and advice, Ed
JA: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?
Customer: 2009 internatioanl prostar cummins isx with 10 speed full automatic trany
JA: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is it
10/19/2016
Alex Olsen

Hi I'm Alex can I get the last 8 of your vin# *****

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
9C690513

Ok this is an Eaton ultrashift, to retrieve the fault codes

Start with the key on, turn key off and on two times within five seconds ending with the key in the on position. After five seconds the service lamp will start flashing 2 digit fault codes, the codes may also be displayed on the gear display

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I TRIED TO PULL OUT ACTIVE AND INACTIVE CODES 2 X TURN AND 4 X TURN ON/OFF.
Nothing, steady staying "F" and "CHECK TRANS"

Hmm. Do you here the xy cycle at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
explain???

When you turn the key off you should hear the xy shifter do a self test will be a series of clunking noise

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i heard lot of clicking here nad there,did not pay particulary attention on clicks coming from xy shifter.
Also i took negative off for several minutes tried to reset,at least four times,still nothing.Same info at daschboard and no cranck...
xy shifter display saying" N" like it is in neutral,also tied to hit "D" than back to "N" STIL SAME...

So now it says N and not F?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
NO YOU DID NOT UNDERSTAND,AT DASHBOARD SAYING 'F' -CHECK TRANY.
AT XY SIFTER SITTING IN "N"

Ok now I get ya, check the fuses in battery box, also there are a couple in the fuse pannel in cab fuse f4c and f4d

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK let me check

here is the wiring diagram, i dont see why it wouldnt display the faults unless the TCM isnt powered up or is faulty

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you let me check fuses

ok sounds good

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok Alex,I checked al fuses,all good,still same.My driver just told me that he experienced problem with transmission upshifting from 6th gear above like trany stay between gears like in neutral than jump in 7,same 8-9,9-10 at last trip happened several times???
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Downshift was just fine

ok well there has to be codes if it says f and check trans, did you start with key on, go off, go on ,go off and then go back on? if that doesnt work you will have to have it hooked up to serviceranger or mabey some scanners would read the codes,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You don't think that this upshifting issue can cause something like that?
Also he mentioned that light came up several times sayin ABC module.
Does either can cause it?

the upshifting sounds strange but if it wont crank i think there is a bigger problem the TCM wont let truck crank, there is a start interrupt relay you can jump the relay to get truck to start and you might be able to get it to drive

are there any other warning lights on? the abs light could have been coming on mabey was losing communication with the TCM

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I appreciate your advice,but I dont know any mobile mechanic that got scanner

dang yeah this will be tricky with out knowing what the faults are, all you can really do is check power, ground and data link to the TCM

i would keep trying to get the codes out of it with the on,off,on,off,on,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Trust me I did after I checked fuses,several times,let's say at least 10times,absolutely nothing beside F and Check trany.Speaking abot trany,any idea what can cause upshifting issue?

more than likely it is in the XY shift assembly on top the trans, that and the harness are the most common repairs, that might be your whole problem

the XY assembly is what actually shifts the trans

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just to understand each another,you talking about xy assembly at top of transmission self,not about xy shifter inside of the cabin?

yes sir the assembly on the trans with the 2 motors on it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Seems to me that only option left is tow truck to closest International delar and let them do diagnostic.I don't see another possibility in my situation

yeah i dont think it would be smart to start throwing parts at it without knowing what is really wrong, could be the TCM, xy assembly, harness or chassis wiring

any dealership should have eaton roadranger software international or not

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I agree,thank you

you are welcome

i am an independent contractor, i receive no compensation until you rate my service, any follow-up questions are free of charge. thank you

i would like to get this closed out do you need any more help on this? i f not please rate me and i will close it out, if you do still need help rate me and then comment and i will keep it open for further assistance, i will give you a second question free of charge with a rating of 5 stars. thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
excellent service
Alex Olsen
Alex Olsen
Alex Olsen