Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Working on a Cat C7 Acert 2008 Ford F-750. I have an

Customer Question

Working on a Cat C7 Acert 2008 Ford F-750. I have an Injector #4 code Spn 654 fmi 7 that keeps coming back. I have replaced #4 and the injector harness inside valve cover. I have ohm tested the wiring harness that goes to the ECM from the valve cover and individually all wires check out. I did find something strange though with Injector #5 and #6. When injector #6 is hooked up and I ohm test between the orange wire one #5 injector and white wire on injector #6 i have .7 ohms of resistance which
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Each injector should have a stream of oil coming from the rocker arm assembly to cool the injector. Without this, the injector will fail.
Can you tell me if the injector has a stream of oil spraying on it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It does have a stream of oil on all injectors. The truck is not missing either.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
If you have a stream of oil, the injector has been replaced along with the wiring harness. I would first suspect you got a faulty injector. I would change it again. If it continues to give the code. I would suspect the outer engine harness or ecm.
I have not ever seen an ecm cause this but it's possible. I would try the outer harness next.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm going to swap injectors in the am #3 with #4 and see if the injector code changes
Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.
That's a good idea. If the code moves you'll know it's the injector. If it does not. I would replace the outer harness.
Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Code did not change after swapping injectors. Is there a way to test the harness before I go replacing it. I would to replace it and it not be the problem.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
This code is generated when the ecm detects the injector circuit is pulling too many amps.
The only way I know to test would be to run separate wires straight from the ecm to the injector.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Couldn't you tell by resistance in ohms?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.
Since Cat does not release any Ohm specs. We can only compare the ohms to another circuit. But ohming only confirms if there is a break in the wire. Not if there is thin or cut strands making it difficult to pull amperage. It could ohm good and still be a weak wire.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you have the step by step diagnostics for the spn654 fmi7 code from CAT?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.
Let me see what I can find.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.
Have you performed a fuel system verification test after replacing this injector? A fuel verification test must be performed to clear a -7 not responding code.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
After doing a fuel verification test injector #4 and #5 failed. It says to go to step 10 but the files you sent does not go to step 10
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also do the trim files need to be installed for the injectors to pass the fuel verification test?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.
The correct files must be installed. If the wrong files are in the ecm. They can fail the test.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can you get trim files? The CD that came with the injector does not have the correct trim file.The serials that I need trim files are
3S504486888A
3S504486764E
Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.
I can get them. Get me your email and I can send them to you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.

Sorry. Neither one of these files are coming up in the system. Can you double check the numbers?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Had a few numbers messed up
3S504489888A
3S504489794E
Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.

Thanks. The trim files are on the way.

Let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Needing one more injector trim file
3S50131236D9
Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.

Trim File is on the way. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating. This question will stay open for weeks after leaving a positive rating. So if you need more help. I'll be here to assist

Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Without a rating. I receive nothing. Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We are having a regeneration problem on this truck we tried to do a manual regen with the cat ET but it is asking for a dealer code or password ***** ***** something you can help us with
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I attached a picture of the screen that comes up
Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
Sorry. I do not have access to factory passwords. Sorry. Those must be gotten from the Cat dealer. Sorry. I wish I could get them.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.