Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have 1999 Peterbilt 379. I was going down the road and hit

Customer Question
I have 1999 Peterbilt 379...
I have 1999 Peterbilt 379 . I was going down the road and hit a small bump and lost power to motor and gauges . When I try to start the truck , I turn the key and have no power to the volt gauge , heater fan , starter button. I do have lights , power to the starter motor and 1 side of the solenoid on the firewall. The relay behind the gauge panel has power to the large white wires . Any thoughts ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
10/11/2016
Technician: spankyjr1, Journeyman replied 1 year ago
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman

Good morning Doug sorry for delay do you still need assistance with this?

Let me know I'll be around most of the day

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
still can't figure it out .
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure if the ignition relay is bad or a ground broke .

Paccar uses a main breaker that feeds accessory circuits through/to the fuse panel ,you need to start there.

The breaker will be either inside frame rail by starter (either side passenger or drivers) or in battery box, you can follow the six gage cable that comes off the positive battery post and goes to breaker, either test both sides for power or jump breaker to test

that breaker has power.

also test your fuse/breaker panel and make sure both sides and top and bottom have power,, use a volt meter if test light is dim

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you are speaking of the 2 - 25 amp fuses by the ECM or starter , they are both fine .

No those fuses feed engine/trans electronics and go directly to battery positive

you are looking for 2 big breakers, two post, both have larger wires to both sides that feed the entire fuse box

with key on jump that solenoid (outer big post) you talked about in first reply, this may have the accessory solenoid on it

You also need to know if all fuses have power going through them, (both sides of fuse} even if fuses are okay that will tell us which direction to go either before or after

let me know what you have checked and confirmed

When you get a chance what engine make and model do you have and is trans electronic (auto shift)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
12.7 Detroit 60 series, 13 speed
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My ignition protection breaker was tripped. Upon resetting it , I have power on both sides but made no difference. I can not find the breakers you sent me a picture of .

I need to know if entire fuse box has at least 12 v to all breakers/fuses?

Are you referring to ignition breaker in last reply?

Do you know have all gages heater ect in cab with key on?

on the picture of breakers you should only have two inside rame or in battery box

Off battery positive post do you have a 6 gage cable that comes off it?

If you do follow that cable to breaker or solenoid

click here for engine wiring

click here for breaker I'm referring to, bottom left side of page,, it comes off either battery positive or starter terminal big cable, it feeds all power to fuse panel

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have 12 volts to fuse panel , yes I believe that's the ignition breaker ( in harness next to starter ) , no gauges or heater or any type of power when key is on except for lights in gauges and outside. I have 6 gauge wires from batteries but not finding those solenoids.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The #6 from my batteries lead to the starter .

not the battery cables they are either 00/4 or 00/2 cables, the cab power is a little smaller in diameter about the same as car battery cable

so do you have more than one cable to any positive terminal on battery where one is a little smaller than the other cables?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found the problem. The 20 amp breaker at the bottom of the panel has a broke at the terminal.
Thank you for your efforts.

Please take the time to Rate me with stars at top of page so I get credit from the web site for my time..
you may still follow up after rating if needed
Thank You!.

spankyjr1
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman