Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have a 2005 International 9400i with a meritor

Customer Question
transmission freedom line 12 speed...
I have a 2005 International 9400i with a meritor transmission freedom line 12 speed dash displays SM hold both bottoms it displays EF.The shifter displays all three lights FNR TRUCK WON'T GO INTO GEAR. ANY IDEALS?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
10/8/2016
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago
Alex Olsen

Hi im Alex lets see if we can figure this out, can i have the last 8 of your vin please?

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

i am actually at my cabin with no cell service, if you wish to talk with someone i will opt out and open this to another expert that might be able to take your call

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well you can message i guess.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

ok well its up to you really, i want you to be satisfied with your service and i want to suppy the best service i can.

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

is there only the EF code when you press and hold the neutral and function buttons?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the transmission won't go into gear.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The information on my vin last 8 are 5C183654
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

ok thank you, ***** ***** find any information on an code EF, it is not listed in any diagnostic manual i have

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

a code FE would be a main transmission fault and would cause a no shift condition

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

the only codes i know that start with E are E6 or E7

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
None of your responses are coming to me. Not seem to be working.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you Text the information?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will get someone to try and open the answers tomorrow. It's a bust tonight.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

hmm ok well i will be going to town later today and could call you

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

have you received any of my response?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alex my 5 years old granddaughter works my phone better than I can now being able to read your responses I've been cleaning all the plugs on the computer and transmission.i removed the shifter to inspected cleaned and tested the plug.There are only two wires with power to them on plug numbers 1 &8.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On yesterday the meritor transmission help line said it would have power to plug at numbers1,7,8,9 any ideals to check for the loss of power to wires 7and 9 where should l start ?
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

are you looking at the 12 pin connector? should have ignition power at 1 and 8 and battery power at 3. 7 and 9 are output signals to the trans tcm

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On yesterday the meritor transmission help line said it would have power to plug at numbers 1,7,8,9.But I'm only getting power to1 and 8 this plug is the plug at the base of the shifter.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

ok is it a 16pin or 12 pin plug?

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

if your looking at the 16pin plug then 7 should be ignition voltage and 9 should be ground, so check from 9 to 7 with the key on

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a 12 plug under the shifter.The computer was pluged in and found a controller unit fault.Interal device issue active S 254 FMI 12.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

ok yeah that is a TCU fault

254

12

SID

FE

Cut-off relay in ECU does not switch

off

The transmission TCU top half requires replacement

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

should have diaplayed an "FE" on the display for that code, manual says to

Contact OnTrac at(###) ###-####and request a

ZF-FreedomLine transmission specialist.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Alex does your manuel show a picture of the tcu and it's location? If so could you send a picture of its placement.
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

it is actually attached to the top of the transmission.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you send a picture of its location?
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

its kind of like part of the transmission

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

do you need anymore help with this? if you could please rate me as i do not get paid until a rating is given, any questions you may have after rating will be free of charge, thank you

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

I am an independent contractor and i do not receive any compensation until you rate my service, if you would rate me with a positive rating of 3 starts or more that would be much appreciated. any follow up questions are free so just ask, thanks

Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 1 year ago

i would like to get this closed out do you need any more help on this? i f not please rate me and i will close it out, if you do still need help rate me and then comment and i will keep it open for further assistance, i will give you a second question free of charge with a rating of 5 stars. thank you

Alex Olsen
Alex Olsen
Alex Olsen