Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

For CAT Man, I have another issue with a different C13 Truck…

For CAT Man, hello again...
For CAT Man, hello again. I have another issue with a different C13 LEE Truck engine. After warm up (running for a couple minutes) engine starts to run rough. I removed air intake pipe at cylinder head so I could listen to engine better, after a minute or so air begins to puff out of the intake, I figured it was the VVA's. I have readjusted VVAs and Compression brakes with no change, I then unplugged all of them and ran it that way, no change. Could a VVA be stuck? What do you think might be going on? Its just strange that its fine for a bit then it then the roughness starts. There is also no codes, unless I take it on the road and warm it up, then a Crankcase Pressure Code pops up. Thanks.
10/3/2016
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 6 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Yes I would suspect an Iva is faulty and holding open an intake valve. I've seen this before. The tough part is figuring out which one it is. I always take a known good or new Iva and install it on each location. If you replace the Correct one. The problem will stop.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Makes sense. But is it the electrical solenoid that gets stuck? Or the mechanical piston? What if one at a time I completely back out the adjustment at each VVA and test that way?Also, only one compression brake set is working, could the complete housings just be contaminated? Should I remove and rebuild all of them?
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
It's the mechanical that gets stuck. Unfortunately backing off the adjustment does not help. Sorry. I have not had any luck backing them off.
Most often the Iva is all that failed. Not ever really had many issues with the brake.
Ok, so what I will be swapping to test is the mechanicl piston and not the yellow electrical solenoids?
that is correct. Actually I always swap the housings. I don't even rebuilt.
I backed out the adjustment screw on all 6 VVAs, the rough idle/noise went away I don't think it stuck it's just acting funny, I'm going to figure out which ONE it is, replacing complete housings are not an option budget wise, so I might get the repair kits that are available, does this make sense? Could it cure the problem?
Thanks for the information.
I'm glad you had luck backing them off.
Yes. I think using the repair kits is a good idea.

Hey I just wanted to see how things were going. Pease let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks!

Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
It worked out, thanks. Metal fragments drained out of that IVA circuit when I disassembled it. So I cleaned it, I installed actuator, accumulator and orings and the noise went away.
Thanks for the update. Glad you got it fixed. Good job.