Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I got Detroit engine 14.0 L with dpf was running good but

Customer Question
got compression on radiator so...
I got Detroit engine 14.0 L with dpf was running good but got compression on radiator so head was cracked and fixed counterbores rebuild w/ original parts inframe but same old injectors and turbo got about 15k miles dpf is deleted and wen we finish take to road test and run only 40mph no more I can't put in the last tow gears on 10 speed trans engine s# *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
9/26/2016
Technician: roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks replied 1 year ago
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

from your description it sounds like the timing may be off 1 tooth. was the timing verified???

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No yet .....if time is off the check engine come on . Is my first Detroit 09 so no much familiar w/ sistem
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Another thing I don't have codes actives I clear up after rebuild and let running for about 4 hours then take road test

I would definitely verify the timing.

also, check the fuel filter and be sure it is not clogged.

does it smoke???

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fuel filters are new and how can verify the time and no smoke

you said it runs?? when you drive it, does it smoke

did you assemble the engine???

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the tools for lock the gears and my mechanic assemble the engine. Is some way we can look the marks without take front cover gears?

there is a plate to remove to view the timing. your mechanic should know that

use the guide pin to verify

Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We go to recheck valves and injectors can you tell the specs for set lash valves and injectors the mechanic put specs for a 14.0 L Detroit 2005 without dpf or are the same

Figure 2. Using Timing Gage on DDEC II, DDEC III, and DDEC IV

Components ‡ ‪

Setting Dimensions ‪

Tolerance † ‪

FUEL INJECTOR HEIGHTS Models: 6067GT40, 6067WT40, 6067WU40,6067GU40, 6063WU00, 6063GU00,6067WU60, 6067GU60, 6067GU91 (All DDEC I and DDEC II / 1986 - 1993)‪

78.2 mm (3.079 in.) Use tool J–35637–A

77.95 - 78.45 mm (3.069 - 3.089 in.)‪

FUEL INJECTOR HEIGHTS Models: 6064TKXX, 6063TKXX, 6063EKXX, 606XGKXX, 606XWKXX, 606XSKXX (All DDEC III 1994-1997)‪

78.8 mm (3.102 in.) Use tool J–39697 32J cam‪

77.55 - 79.05 mm (3.053 - 3.112 in.)‪

FUEL INJECTOR HEIGHTS Models: 6067TKXX, 606XPKXX, 606XGKXX (1997-98 DDEC IV and later 1997 DDEC III)‪

80.3 mm (3.161 in.)Use tool J–42665 47J cam‪

80.05 - 80.55 mm (3.152 - 3.171 in.)‪

FUEL INJECTOR HEIGHTS Models: 6067EKXX, 606XBKXX, 606XMKXX, 606XLKXX, 606XHKXX, 606XFKXX (1998 & 1999 DDEC IV)‪

81.0 mm (3.189 in.)Use tool J–42749 65J cam 92J cam‪

80.75 - 81.25 mm(3.179 - 3.199 in.)‪

FUEL INJECTOR HEIGHTS Models: §‪

6067BKXX, MKXX, HKXX‪

6067MKXX‪

606XBKXX‪

606XMKXX‪

82.1 mm (3.23 in.) Use tool J–45002 w/101J cam‪

81.0 mm (3.189 in.) Use tool J–42749 w/92J cam‪

82.1 mm (3.23 in.) Use tool J–45002 w/107J cam on off-highway units only‪

0.8128 mm (0.032 in.)‪

FUEL INJECTOR HEIGHTS Models:‪

6062HKXX, 6062TKXX (2000-2003)‪

81.0 mm (3.189 in.)‪

80.75 - 81.25 mm‪

3.179 - 3.199 in.)‪

INTAKE VALVE CLEARANCE‪

0.203 mm(0.008 in.)‪

0.127 - 0.280 mm(0.005 - 0.011 in.)‪

EXHAUST VALVE CLEARANCE - * "U" Models: 6067GT40, 6067WT40, 6067WU40, 6067GU40, 6063XX00, (1986 - 1990 All DDEC I & Early DDEC II)‪

0.508 mm(0.020 in.)‪

0.432 - 0.584 mm(0.017 - 0.023 in.)‪

EXHAUST VALVE CLEARANCE - * "H" Models: 606XWUXX, 606XGUXX, 606XXKXX, (1991 - 1999 All DDEC IV, III and later DDEC II)‪

0.660 mm(0.026 in.)‪

0.584 - 0.736 mm(0.023 - 0.029 in.)‪

EXHAUST VALVE CLEARANCE - * "H" Models: 6062HKXX, 6062TKXX (2000 - 2003)‪

0.711 mm (0.028 in.)‪

0.635 - 0.787 mm (0.025 - 0.031 in.)‪

Table 4. Checking Tolerance Chart

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you sure the specs you send is for a 2009 because the injectors don't use gauge and I think this ddc v model # 6067HG6E

try this one,

15.2.2  Setting the Valve Lash

Adjust the valves and fuel injector settings as follows:

ELECTRICAL SHOCK

To avoid injury from electrical shock, do not touch battery terminals, alternator terminals, or wiring cables while the engine is operating.

Show/Hide Checkboxes

NOTE: When removing retaining bolts (1 through 6) and retaining nuts (7 and 8), loosen them one turn at a time so as not to damage the rocker shaft or the cylinder head.

NOTE: Whenever nuts (1 or 8) are loosened or removed, the torque on the corresponding rocker shaft stud must be checked. Torque to 126 to 146 N·m (93 to 108 lb·ft).

EYE INJURY

To avoid injury from flying debris when using compressed air, wear adequate eye protection (face shield or safety goggles) and do not exceed 276 kPa (40 psi) air pressure.

NOTE: Cover the holes with hand towels to minimize oil spray.

NOTICE:

Never set the valves and injector of the same cylinder at the same time. Doing this will result in engine damage.

EYE INJURY

NOTICE:

To prevent cylinder head from cracking when bolts are torqued, remove the oil from the bolt holes.

NOTICE:

Installing 170 mm cap screws on the exhaust side of the engine can result in serious engine damage.

ELECTRICAL SHOCK

To avoid injury from electrical shock, use care when connecting battery cables. The magnetic switch studs are at battery voltage.

1. Disconnect batteries.
  2. Remove the engine valve rocker cover as outlined. Refer to section "Removal and Cleaning of the Two-Piece Rocker Cover For Diesel Engines Only" for two-piece rocker cover, and Refer to section "Removal and Pre-Cleaning of the Three-Piece Rocker Cover" for three-piece rocker cover.
  3. If equipped with Jake Brakes®, remove the electrical connections at both brake solenoids.
  4. Remove the Jake Brake® retaining bolts (1 through 6 and 9 through 14) and nuts (7 and 8) that retain the Jake Brake® and rocker arm shaft assembly to the cylinder head.

Figure 1. Rocker Arm Shaft Bolts and Nut Identification Numbers

5. Remove the Jake Brake® and set aside, being careful not to damage the housing.
  6. Attach a length of tubing to an air gun nozzle and blow out the oil from the rocker shaft bolt holes.
  7. Lubricate each hold-down cap screw with clean engine oil prior to installation.
  8. Install three 170 mm (6.693 in.) long cap-screws on the rocker shaft using the Jake Brake® spacers from the exhaust side of the engine.
  9. Tighten cap screws and spacers down equally until rocker shaft is against the cylinder head. Then torque the cap screws in the following sequence:
    1. Starting with the middle cap screw, on the camshaft , following the sequence for tightening bolts (1 to 6) and nuts (7 and 8), torque to 55 N·m (40 lb·ft).
    2. Final torque all to 102 to 126 N·m (75 to 93 lb·ft).

Figure 2. Housing Hold-Down Bolt Locations and Torque Sequence

10. Insert a 3/4 in. drive breaker bar or ratchet into the square hole in the center of the crankshaft pulley.
  11. Bar the engine in the direction of rotation and observe a cylinder where the injector rocker arm is just beginning to depress the injector plunger; both the intake and exhaust valves should be closed.
    1. Stop turning the engine and mount a magnetic base dial indicator so you can monitor the upward lift of travel of that injector lobe.
    2. Set the pedestal of the dial indicator on the top of the injector cam roller. Adjust the pedestal so it can travel the entire upward movement of the lobe.
    3. Continue to slowly bar the engine over in the direction of rotation until the dial indicator shows no more upward lift. The needle of the dial indicator will stop moving indicating maximum lift.
    4. This is the point of maximum injector roller lift that the injector can now be set.
    5. If you rotate the engine beyond maximum injector lift you will have to bar the engine over in the opposite direction at least 1/4 turn and then bar the engine over in the direction of rotation until maximum injector roller lift is obtained.
  12. Stop engine rotation and note which cylinder this is, and follow the sequence listed below to correctly set injector and valves.

Valve Lash and Injector Setting Adjustment Sequence

Max. injector lobe travel on Cylinder No.Adjust Injector on Cylinder No.Adjust Valves on Cylinder No.

662

224

441

115

553

336

13. This injector can now be set using this procedure:
    1. Loosen the locknut on the adjusting screw at least two full turns.
    2. Tighten the adjusting screw until the injector plunger bottoms out. Torque value should be 4.51 N·m (40 lb·in.).
    3. Back the adjusting screw off 3/4 of a turn 0.75 mm ± 0.25 mm (0.03 in.± 0.01in.) and tighten the locknut to 41 to 47 N·m (30 to 35 lb·ft).
    4. The injector is now adjusted.
  14. Adjust the valves on the corresponding cylinders.
  15. To adjust the intake valves, insert a 0.203 mm (0.008 in.) feeler gage between the tip of the valve stem and the valve button at the end of the rocker arm.
    1. Intake Valve
    2. Valve Button
    3. Intake Rocker Arm Assembly
    4. Locknut
    5. Feeler Gage
    6. Tip of Intake Valve

Figure 3. Intake Valve Adjustment

16. Loosen the locknut, and turn the adjusting set screw until the feeler gage produces an even smooth pull between the valve stem and valve button.
  17. Torque the locknut to 41 to 47 N·m (30 to 35 lb·ft) and remove the feeler gage. Reinsert the feeler gage to ensure that the adjustment did not change when the locknut was tightened. Readjust as necessary.
  18. The exhaust valves are adjusted the same way as the intake valves, using a 0.508 mm (0.020 in.) feeler gage.
    1. Location of Identification Groove
    2. Valve Button
    3. Allen Wrench
    4. Adjusting Screw
    5. Locknut
    6. Exhaust Rocker Arm Assembly
    7. Feeler Gage
    8. Tip of Exhaust Valve

Figure 4. Exhaust Valve Adjustment

19. Repeat steps 11 through 18 until all injectors and valves have been set.
  20. After all the injectors and valves have been adjusted to specification, remove the cap screw and spacers holding down the rocker shaft.
  21. Attach a length of tubing to an air gun nozzle and blow out the oil from the housing-hold down bolt holes.
  22. Place the engine brake housings on the rocker shafts and spacer tubes. The solenoids should be on the camshaft side of the engine and the slave pistons over the exhaust valves.
  23. Lubricate each hold-down cap screw with clean engine oil prior to installation.
  24. Install three (per Jake Brake®) 170 mm (6.693 in.) long cap screws on the camshaft side of the Jake Brake®.

Figure 5. Housing Hold-Down Bolt Locations and Torque Sequence

25. Install three (per Jake Brake®) 140 mm (5.152 in.) long cap screws and spacers on the exhaust side of the engine.
  26. Before tightening the cap screws, move the brake housing from side to side. Position housing in the center of the range of motion.
  27. Tighten the cap screws and nuts down one turn at a time until the rocker shaft is snug against the cylinder head.
  28. Tighten the cap screws and nuts in the following sequence for one engine brake assembly.
    1. Starting with the middle cap screw on the camshaft side and following the sequence shown, torque to 55 N·m (40 lb·ft).
    2. Repeat the tightening sequence for the exhaust side.
    3. Final torque all to 102 to 126 N·m (75 to 93 lb·ft).
  29. Connect the lead wires to the solenoid valves passing the wires through the wire clips.
  30. Torque solenoid screw to 1 N·m (9 lb·in.).
  31. Install the engine rocker cover ensuring that the electrical harness will not be pinched between the rocker cover and the cylinder head rocker cover base. Refer to section "Installation of the Two-Piece and Three-Piece Rocker Covers" .
  32. Reconnect batteries.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the specs are same than the 14.0L 2005 because that is same my mech put on

yes, that is correct

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I go to verify timing and recheck valves and injectors and let you know

Roy

Roy

very disappointed you have not accepted my answers. we only get paid a small portion of what the site charges you only after you accept or rate me 5 stars. we do not work for the site but work for ourselves. we like to get paid for our work just as you do when you go to work.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't rate you because we don't finish yet I verify timing was right recheck adjust on valves and injectors was right and the truck still run only 40 mph on that gear home only 1500 rpm but on all gears I need to push acceleration all the way to bottom

please understand, we are here to give advice, not fix your truck. we give you advice based on your input and our experience. none of us here work for free. just as you do not work for free. it costs us personally to acquire info for you. we are contractors and only get a small portion of what the site charges you. I would be glad to continue with you as long as it takes once you accept my answers up to this point. we both have a lot of time invested in this.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You now I make different questions to this site an you are the first rude person I found here if you don't want to help pass to other people in my concern I don't give you any star and your answers no is my satisfaction so I don't rate you

I am not rude, just trying to explain to you the process.

I am more than willing to continue to help. I do this all day long

sorry if you feel that way

Roy

roybelding
roybelding