Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a 1999 pete with a c12, it won't start with out shot

Customer Question

I have a 1999 pete with a c12, it won't start with out shot of ethr, then it runs fine have changed the hand primer and the lift pump, but still will only start with ether
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: motor or truck?
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: 463541
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
When you do get it started with ether. Does it stumble or run a little rough when it first starts? Or does it run great?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
runs fine
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.
what is your engine serial number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2ks07193
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
There are four things I have seen cause hard starting like this.
The first is low fuel pressure. Since you have replace the pump and hand primer, I would next try the fuel pressure regulator and filters.
Second is low voltage to the ECM. The voltage must not drop below 7.5. If it does, the engine ECM will not be able to function. This can be caused by weak batteries, starter pulling too many Amps. Or a poor connections.
Next is a faulty crank engine speed sensor. This is the primary start sensor. Your engine also has a cam sensor. If the crank sensor has failed. It can be hard to start.
Lastly is worn injectors. Over time when they wear the engine can become hard starting. The either helps as it elevates the rocker arm speed high enough to over come the problem.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have changed the filters, and the cam timing sensor only thing I have not change is the return line check valve or the crank sensor, btw it is not showing any faults
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or the regulator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the crank sensor located at
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.
I would try the check valve and sensor. The crank sensor is located under the engine in front of the oil pan.
If any of the items I mention are the problem. There will be no codes.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.