Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have a 2006 ih 4900 with a dta 1/4 mile it bogs down like

Customer Question
I have a 2006 ih...
I have a 2006 ih 4900 with a dt*****a 1/4 mile it bogs down like its running out of fuel I open the fuel filter cap and there is a massive amount of air ,reinstall the cap prime system it goes another 1/4 mile and does the same thing. I installed a new fuel filter housing ,high pressure pump, new injectors, new fuel lines to the tank I am lost help?
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: its a truck
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2005 ih 4900 serial number 1htmm4al25h1193938
9/7/2016
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 1 year ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

what you are describing is the vent is blocked in the tank or fuel cap

you can remove the vent, make sure it is clear

I hope this helped you

Hi. If this helped you,

please remember to rate my answer 3 or more stars.

If more info is needed, use the reply button -

NOT THE POOR/BAD SERVICE

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its not the vent, we ran a outside fuel source to bypass the tank it still happens

Hi

Thank you for that

do you have a fuel warmer on it ??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

Hi Thank you for this

I am going to OPt-out , send back to the

board , very strange issue

sorry I could not help

Technician: cat_engines_only, Other replied 1 year ago
cat_engines_only

I had a similar problem on a machine once. Traced it to a failed diaphragm in the fuel aneroid valve.

This has a line from the turbo to the back of the injection pump. If Diaphragm fails, turbo boost pressure can enter the fuel system and then cause pressure in the tank.

(High pressure in the tank can act like "vapor lock". My machine just blew fuel everywhere.)

I will OPT-OUT too as I am not sure this is your issue.

Technician: FSM09, Ford Senior Master replied 1 year ago
FSM09
FSM09, Ford Senior Master

Hello, on these engine it is due to combustion gases going into the fuel rail. Most of the time it is the copper o ring on the bottom of the injector that fails. Where I would start is by replacing all of the injector o rings and retesting. This will eliminate the compression gases going into the fuel system.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we replaced the injectors and all the orings and gaskets

Did the concern happen before or after the injectors were replaced?

FSM09
FSM09
FSM09, Ford Senior Master