Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

1985 Ford 1910 shiuft rail detent springs... which holes get

Customer Question
the two spring ( inner...
1985 Ford 1910 shiuft rail detent springs... which holes get the two spring ( inner and outer) springs? and which ones get the single outer springs?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
9/3/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

See above link. # 48 and 49 are the springs. 48, double, outer right. 49, single outer left.

Did you see the parts link? I don't have a service manual, only the parts guide to go by. Phone call will not help!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You are not helpful

Did you see the parts link????

Right and left are determined from sitting on the seat.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where does the other single inner spring go?

in the center hole!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are 2 holes on the left and 2 on the right. You can not see the cover in the diagram. You are no help. There isn't a center hole.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm plugging my phone into a charger and calling it a night. You are No Help.

Ok, lets try again, you have four holes, 6 springs and 4 balls, right two holes are double springs . the left two holes are the single springs. one ball per hole. Picture can be expanded, working off a phone is not something that lets you expand picture like a computer does.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What are you calling a single spring? 48A ?
Point #2. The far left hole had 2 springs. I took the cover off and caught that spring combination before the others fell out. YOU ARE GUESSING. The cover is approximately 8" x 14".

48A, single spring by description in the parts link. 48 is double spring.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a printed diagram
I have enlarged it on the computer and you keep trying to tell me the same stuff over again. You are no help. You have guessed and when you aren't guessing you are reading to me what I have in my hand on the parts diagram. I'm not happy with your answers. Which hole of four is the center hole? I'm annoyed. Don't charge me for help I can't use

The shift cover has two outer holes that are the bolt holes for the spring cover. The next wo holes on each side are the detent holes. each of these 4 gets a ball, by the book, the two holes on the right side as sitting on the tractor gets the double springs on top of the balls, the two holes on the left gets the single springs. If you found it different, it could have been wrong before.

I can opt out and see if you get anyone else to help. I make good guesses and was service manager for New Holland Dealer for 15 years. If that is what you would like.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would like to opt out. I have been a machinist for 35 years. I am not a tractor mechanic. I'm not a transmission expert. I can read diagrams and guess. I have put the transmission cover back on. I will have to take it off again tomorrow. Scrape the rtv off and try again. All because of a bro***** ***** switch wire. I'm not angry that you couldn't help. I just don't feel like paying for your guesses. I pay for my own guesses in labor.

have a nice day. be sure and don't use any of my information.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician